1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporters/Food

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by housejd, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. housejd

housejd Member

This question has always lingered on my mind. Why does it seem accepted for sports reporters to indulge in the pregame buffet at sporting events? I always see reporters do it when I'm covering games, and I've always just sorta followed suit cause I saw the pros doing it (I'm in college right now).

Why is this not considered to be unethical? Or is it? I know some of those on the news side at my college paper would frown on it.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If you're in college and think free food is unethical, you obviously don't work for the Michigan Daily.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Depends how purely you want to play the ethics game.

Its definitely a breach... like driving 75 in a 65 perhaps.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

There's been a few threads on this, though I could only find this one:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/31935/

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

It has always been a gray area, the "you can accept what you can eat" rule, within reason, of course ($1000 dinners -- not).

6. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I remember this argument in a college ethics class. My feeling has always been: If you're influenced by a free meal at a sporting event, you shouldn't be employed, because you're an idiot. Also, meals cost money at baseball and basketball games (aside from playoff baseball). College and (most) NFL teams offer free, usually terrible food.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's OK to eat free food as long as you complain about how lousy it is.

Seriously, at games and such it is primarily a courtesy. You're something of a captive audience there.

Lots of papers send checks to the teams/schools to cover the cost of what their folks will eat during the season.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

This has rarely ever been about what we actually are influenced by.

It's about perception.

And the perception among many would be that we can be bought by the slightest of means.

9. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Awesome. This cracked me up.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's funny because it's so true [/homersimpson]

11. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

I'm sure this story is funny, but I can't find it anywhere. Any chance you'll tell it again or link it?

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I still remember a conversation I had with an assistant news editor at The Diamondback about a ethics. I distinctly remember her saying that we should avoid anything that is or appears to be something that could compromise our objectivity.

I could go from being a screaming fanboi looser at a ballgame to being an objective observer of the same game when I'm on deadline. I've done that before. However, I don't take the risk. It's not worth it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.