1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporters Against ALS Golf Outing at Mountain Valley

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by anotherjrcsurvivor, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Sports Reporters Against ALS Golf Outing at Mountain Valley
    (formerly Reporters' Challenge Charity Golf Outing at Mt Valley)
    **When: Tuesday, May 10, 2011; shotgun start at 10 a.m.
    **Where: Mountain Valley Golf Course, Barnesville, Pa. (www.mtvalleygolf.com for directions/information)
    **Cost: $65 per player -- includes donation to charities (approximately $12-$17 per player), cart and greens fees, soft drinks (alcohol sold separately) and post-round luncheon, plus prizes.
    **The field: Our goal is 80+ players; media and non-media welcome
    **To benefit ALS/Lou Gehrig's disease research and treatment at Hershey Medical Center and ALS Association. Most of the event-record $2,900 raised last year went to ALS research at Hershey Medical Center, Johns Hopkins U and the ALS Association.
    **Also to benefit: Over the years, we've developed a relationship with "Lauren's First and Goal Foundation," an organization that helps raise awareness and funds to battle pediatric brain tumors, which have surpassed leukemia as the leading cause of cancer deaths in children. You can learn more about the foundation at www.laurensfirstandgoal.org.
    **How you can help: Organize a foursome or contact a business or friend who could donate items. One, two or three players? We'll team you with others.
    **History: The tournament was founded in 2004 by Larry O'Rourke of the Allentown Morning Call, Phil Schoener of WBRE-TV 28 and Sam Matta of the Hazleton Standard-Speaker. We've raised over $10,000 with the previous seven tournaments. We started the tournament to give something back to golf, and for the first several years donated the money to causes such as the Special Olympics and the children of fallen police officers and soldiers. But since I [Larry] was diagnosed with ALS/Lou Gehrig's Disease in 2008, we have naturally shifted the focus to fighting that disease. (Note: I do not benefit financially at all from this event; colleagues and friends raise funds for me at other events. All proceeds from this event go to ALS Association, Hershey Medical Center, Lauren's First & Goal and other organizations.)
    **Any questions, or to commit to play in the tournament, please call me at 570-215-4052. Or email me at pascribe@ptd.net.
    Thank you,
    Larry O'Rourke

2. I've played this course a number of times. It's beautiful, especially in the fall since it's cut out of the trees. If I remember correctly, it's actually four separate nine-hole courses that they pair up in a number of ways to give you a couple different "courses" to play.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Why are the sports reporters against this outing? Sounds like it would be a good thing.

4. Pete Wevurski

Pete Wevurski Member

I spent the summers of my youth staying with cousins just a few miles away, long before anyone ever dreamed up Mountain Valley. But I'm sure glad they eventually got around to it. One of my favorites.

I played the original 18 in 1998 then stopped by on two of my cross-country drives to play 27 holes in '02 & '04. Can't wait to play it again now that they're adding a fourth nine.

This is a wonderful course, interesting holes, fair but not terribly penal, quite scenic, and the staff might be the most pleasant and helpful I've come across. The experience is an outright steal for what MV charges you to play.

If you're ever in the vicinity, don't even think twice about it. Go. You can thank me later.

5. Long-time East Stroudsburg University football coach Denny Douds has committed to a fifth straight appearance in the field.

6. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Exactly what I thought and the reason I clicked on the thread. 'How could they be against the outing?' I asked myself.

7. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

I'll pay the $65, now will someone pay my expenses too and from the tournament?

8. We'll send a car and you'll win long drive award.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm just surprised that sports reporters, or anybody, would be against an ALS golf tournament.

10. The prize and raffle pool just grew: Curt Schilling sent an autographed photo noting his 3,000th career K. We already had a Ryan Howard-autographed Phillies scorecard, Brian Schneider-signed baseball, 8 x 10 photo autographed by Eagles coach Andy Reid, Eagles programs auto'd by David Akers and Trent Cole, and several coffee table-sized golf books in brand new condition. (The books were donated by Hank Gola and Steve Adamek).... Outback Steakhouse at Wilkes-Barre already renewed its commitment to provide gift cards good at nearly every Outback, and also will enter a foursome and provide the cart bartenders.

11. The Sports Reporters Against ALS Charity Golf Outing received an early Christmas present: A wedge signed by golf great Tom Watson. The wedge will become one of the auction items for the May 10 event at Mt. Valley. .... Entry fee is $65 per player and includes golf, soft drinks, prizes, post round luncheon and dontations to ALS-related charities. E-mail pascribe@ptd.net for more info.

12. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

My favorite college prof died from ALS. Bless all of you.

Draft saved Draft deleted