1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter - York Dispatch

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by AndrettiSJ, Jul 2, 2018.

1. AndrettiSJ

AndrettiSJ Member

Description:

The York Dispatch, an award-winning newspaper in south-central Pennsylvania, is seeking an energetic multi-media sports reporter with a flair for writing and reporting and an eye for detail and digital presentation. The Dispatch, which has won numerous APSE, PAPME and Keystone awards over the past decade, is a five-day-a-week morning newspaper. Yorkdispatch.com is also one of the leading news and sports websites in the region. This job requires extensive local coverage, especially high school sports, but also provides opportunities for more in-depth features and reporting, as well as some limited pro and college reporting. A weekly local/regional column is also expected, as are video productions and some photography. If you want to work with a great staff in a competitive, two-newspaper town, email your resume, cover letter and clips to Teresa Hoover at thoover@yorkdispatch.com.

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Sports Reporter

This job came open around December, so either they haven't filled it or are looking for another replacement.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

From June 1, 2015:

3. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Any update on this?

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I didn’t know the Dispatch had gone to the AM. I hope they hang on, but that’s not great news.

5. jr/shotglass

Circulation teetering near the 10,000 mark last I heard.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Ouch.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I had a full-day interview with this paper back in the early 2000s, when it was still a pm. Some really good talent on the writing staff, and Greg Bowers seemed like he would have been a hell of a guy to work for.

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Does anyone know when the JOA terminates. JOA's historically have lasted until it is time for a renewal. Then the stronger partner pulls the plug an their weaker partner.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Garnett now owns both papers. They could pull the plug whenever.

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

They are both morning papers. no? And they have separate staffs? What economic incentive would Gannett have to print competing papers?

11. jr/shotglass

It's a struggle to reconcile York still being a two-paper town, especially two AMs. I had some ideas, but still hard to comprehend.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Before our industry cratered, the belief in town was that if they pulled the plug on the Dispatch (then with a circ of 30k) there was no way they’d sell enough Daily Records to make it worthwhile. You either bought one or the other. That also was 15 years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted