1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter- Williamsburg, VA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Jun 20, 2014.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

From jjobs.com
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1596941

Company: The Virginia Gazette
    Position:
    Sports Reporter
    Job Status: Not Specified
    Salary: Not Specified

Description:

SPORTS REPORTER:

The Virginia Gazette, located in Williamsburg, Va., is looking for a skilled and ambitious sports reporter. We need a journalist who can cover Division I college sports and a youth swim meet with the same vigor, or investigate deeper issues and tell our readers why it all matters. We want an employee who understands how to work efficiently in an environment that demands a digital-first approach. If you aren’t comfortable supplementing your stories with social media, photos and video, this is not the place for you. A minimum of two years of experience as a full-time reporter in a professional newsroom is preferred, but a recent graduate with a similar skill set may be considered.

Email clips or links to stories, including at least one news story that focuses on sports, to Editor Rusty Carter (editor@vagazette.com) and VP of Content Marisa Porto (mporto@dailypress.com), along with your resume and a brief cover letter. Please use ‘Sports reporter job’ as your subject line.

Williamsburg is located on the Virginia peninsula between Richmond and Newport News. We are bordered by the York and James rivers, and home to Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown and Yorktown, all important sites in Virginia and American history. In addition to the College of William and Mary, the Gazette covers four public high schools, plus community, travel and youth teams.

If you like great barbecue, sunrise and sunset over the water, and still want to watch the leaves change in the fall, this is the place for you. We offer a great place to live as well as a great place to work.

2. Lynn Burke

Lynn Burke Member

I was going to post this, but Zads beat me to it. The Gazette, a twice-a-week printed paper, but a continuous online publication, is owned by the Newport News Daily Press and whomever gets this job will work not only with the Gazette news staff, but with the Daily Press sports staff. This job will involve some W&M coverage, I'm sure, but primarily deals with high school and below coverage of the Williamsburg area. And the ad is correct, this is a digital-first operation. You'll need to build a Twitter and Facebook following, and shoot video and some photos. I'm not involved in the hiring, so I don't know any salary details, but I can answer any questions you might have. Best to e-mail me at lburke@dailypress.com

3. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

I spent a few days on vacation in Williamsburg last year. I can only imagine what the cost of living is for the area, but I always thought it would be a great place to live for a history nut like me.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Trust me, a few days is enough. It's a pretty area, and not far to a lot of things to do (Richmond and Hampton Roads are within an hour, and Busch Gardens is there). But wow, is it sleepy.

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

And pancakey. Very, very pancakey.

6. Lynn Burke

Lynn Burke Member

A pancake house in Williamsburg? Surely you jest.

Yeah, once you have eaten at 10 pancake houses in Williamsburg, you only have 343 to go.

Oh, and the ad right above this for "Sports Reporter, Williamsburg Yorktown Daily," that's the competition.

Some people started an online-only news outlet a while back. The guy who is leaving there is moving to be with his girlfriend, from what I understand.

7. Lynn Burke

Lynn Burke Member

Quick update: We've received nearly 100 resumes already for this job. There is no closing date to apply, but I'm sure the editors are starting to cull through the resumes to pick out the outstanding ones. If you are interested in applying, the suggestion is to do so ASAP.

8. Lynn Burke

Lynn Burke Member

Ah, I can't resist this. This is a photo gallery the Virginia Gazette put together of the various pancake houses in Williamsburg:

http://www.dailypress.com/business/tidewater/va-vg-pictures-pancakes-of-williamsburg-20140626,0,7800947.photogallery

Draft saved Draft deleted