1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, Wichita, KS

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Wichita Eagle and VarsityKansas.com are looking for a diligent and energetic reporter to cover high school sports as part of a two-person prep staff. The Eagle covers almost 60 high schools in a five-county area with an emphasis on the 28 in Wichita and immediate area.

We're looking for someone who will stand out in all areas of the high school beat. In the paper, we're looking for someone who can write the big stories as well as execute the weekly grind of preps (without it appearing like a grind). On VarsityKansas.com, we want someone who will blog like a maniac, plus help produce our weekly Prep Talk videos and other online demands. This person also has to be strong at the little things that make for a successful high school sports operation. Bachelor's degree required.

Please send a cover letter, resume and three writing samples to sports editor Kirk Seminoff at kseminoff@wichitaeagle.com. No phone calls, please.

2. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

Junction City, Dodge City, Wichita......How did Kansas became a hotbed for journalists looking for work?

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Hey, refreshing to see a McClatchy paper step to the plate and hire!

4. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

This paper used to have a good reputation for valuing narrative storytelling. Obviously you'd have less of that on preps than other beats, but is that still the case?

5. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Just curious. Why do you think you would have less of that on preps? I would think you would have more of that than on any other beat. With high school athletes, you typically have better access than college, and because there's more athletes, you have far more story possibilities.

6. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

I wasn't necessarily thinking sports. I know there are plenty of opportunities for narratives in preps. Great access, lotsa kids who wanna talk, etc. I was just thinking along the lines of being a culture writer, or a columnist or an enterprise writer at your paper. Those are the folks who most frequently get the time and space to give stories what they deserve. On preps, at least in my experience, you spend a ton of time on -- as this job rightfully calls it -- the grind and there's not a ton of time for big takeouts, and because your readership is so divided, there may be less demand of takeouts on High School A than on K-State. Also, your attention is incredibly divided. As opposed to getting entrenched with one or a few programs you're spread over 60. Sourcing is key, but you're going to have a hard enough time getting deep enough with teams to go as in depth as you will want to. Besides, at a paper where you're one of two preps writers you don't just have a ton of schools, but there's also many sports.

I'm definitely not saying there isn't room for narrative in preps. There totally, totally, totally is. It's the time that's at issue, more than anything else.

Great stories exist on any beat, and no matter what beat you're on great stories will rise to the top. Preps just isn't a beat where you go in thinking you're going to have an opportunity to write a lot of long-form stuff. That was my original point.

7. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I know some damn fine people who work there. And a nice, clean design.

8. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

I'll also vouch for this operation. Kirk's good people.

9. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Junction City seems to open up once every 6 months, so I probably wouldn't call it a "hotbed" so much.

10. spud

spud Member

A death bed that eats people is probably more like it.

11. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

You're hired!

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Love to see a newbie walk right into that trap. (Just kidding, sshroyer. Welcome to the board. Tell Cletus hello.)

Draft saved Draft deleted