1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, Wayzata, Minn.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jay Sherman, Jul 7, 2008.

1. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

There's lots of money out in this part of The Cities, so you could say the athletes you'll cover are the best money can buy. More than likely they want someone from the area; then again, who would move from beyond a day's drive away for a part-time gig?

2. Actually, given that I want to move back to the Cities, I would take it. And I live at least two solid days drive away.

Brett's clearly against that idea, however. It is certainly her choice and heaven knows I'm not God's gift to the industry, but it's depressing to be given the cold shoulder simply because I'm not a local.

Let the flaming about my being a whiner begin.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Did you try selling her on how much you'd love to move back and her paper would be a solid fit -- someone who loves the area (and can't afford to live in Wayzata) and can do the job?

4. I did, but the sense i got was that she was worried I'd either get there and be ticked off at the so-called ``low level'' of the work or that I'd wind up in financial straits and then bail.

The truth is that I get excited about covering games and finding feature material even if it's on the Little League beat and my wife makes good money in another field and can relocate within that field pretty easily. But when all folks know of you is what you send them on paper, it's tough to get other things across.

You do the best to sell yourself and then try not to have any regrets. But I'm still surprised at the number of shops that don't even bother to send back a form letter that says they got your resume and clips.

Ah well, my family can pay its bills. The true worry is for folks in this biz who are getting kicked to the curb every day and may not be able to pay their own.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

tell her you're in for the long haul. It's not like your going to the Strib or PiPress with their cutbacks...

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Maybe she's worried that someone is a little too excited to jump at a part-time gig that's a two day's drive from where you're at.

It's a job for some local kid that doesn't want to flip burgers.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

And who has a four-year degree in journalism?

Funk dat.

Draft saved Draft deleted