1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, Wayzata, Minn.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jay Sherman, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

PART TIME

From JJobs: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=744043

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

So they want an educated, experienced, reasonably talented professional, and they want to employ this person part-time. Fabulous.

3. Kevin Morales

Kevin Morales Member

They already have a sports editor, they're just looking for someone to help on the side. That kind of setup is pretty common for weekly papers like this.

I met Brett (a woman, BTW) while I interned at this paper in college. She was, and I'm sure still is, very genuine and easy to work with. There are good HS sports to cover in the area, as well. Kris Humphries, who I believe plays for the Utah Jazz, went to school at Hopkins. Haven't followed it too closely lately, but I remember the area producing a lot of college-calibur athletes.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

My parents get that paper, so write good...

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Doesn't matter what role they're looking to fill. My point was that they want someone with experience and a four-year degree to fill a part-time position, one that I'm guessing has hours crappy enough to make holding down another job awfully difficult.

And I've never been impressed with the "famous athlete went to school here" meme, because once-in-a-generation athletes tend to be just that, not to mention it shouldn't affect the job status, pay, etc., at all.

6. Twinkilling

Twinkilling Guest

I hear that Fenian's pub is the No. 1 Irish pub in Michigan.

And it's write well.

7. Twinkilling

Twinkilling Guest

Hmm, the more I think about it, the more tempting this job is. I mean, I graduated from the University of Minnesota, I grew up there, why NOT cash in my career chips to write features about the local tennis team? I write good.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I guess the Humphries fan really has kept up with his career since he hasn't played for the Jazz for at least two seasons.

Instead of selling me on the fact that some NBA reserve grew up in the area, I want to write about the high school star who is working at Wal-Mart and talking about how one bad play ruined his life.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Write good was deliberate, thank you. And I have no idea where Fenian's Pub is. it's not about a bar, it's about a lost soul.

10. Twinkilling

Twinkilling Guest

And I have no idea where Fenian's Pub is. it's not about a bar, it's about a lost soul.
    [/quote]

I really have no idea how to respond to that. Go Twins.

11. Kevin Morales

Kevin Morales Member

Definitely not a Kris Humphries fan and have not followed his career after Minnesota.

You guys need to relax. The only reason I mentioned it was to point out there are usually good teams in the area, including one standout athlete a couple years back. Didn't say it should impress anybody or affect the job status, pay, etc., at all.

And there are newsrooms all over the country that have experienced reporters with four-year degrees working part time.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Tim Herron was nicknamed "Lumpy" after on his first day of work at a golf course in Wayzata, Minn. Sorry, that's all I've got.

Draft saved Draft deleted