1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, Washington (N.C.) Daily News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tarheel316, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

The Washington Daily News is looking to round out its sports staff with a third sports reporter. We focus primarily on prep coverage as we cover 13 high schools. There is also a chance to cover East Carolina athletics and maybe even a Carolina Panthers game or two. We use InDesign, which is similar to Quark. Beaches are a short drive from Washington. Check us out online at www.wdnweb.com. Please send resume, cover letter and clips to: Kevin Travis, Sports Editor, Washington Daily News, Washington, NC, 27889. No phone calls please.

Covering a Panthers' game? Charlotte is a loooong way from Little Washington. Don't know much about the paper but Washington is pretty isolated. The closest city of any size is Greenville. Dominique Wilkins led the Pam Pack to a pair of state championships way bak when.
  2. Keystone

Keystone Member

I had a short stint at the WDN at the end of the last century. Little Washington is a sleepy seaside town that's a good 90-minute drive from the beach. (Atlantic Beach. The Outer Banks are at least two hours.) I know that sounds funny, but look at a map.
    There's a chance for some good journalism, as I was given lots of chances to be creative. I'm guessing that hasn't changed.
    The WDN's circulation area covers a huge, but sparsely populated area. It even bumps against the Virginia-Pilot to the north. Greenville is a half-hour away down a four-lane highway.
    For prep coverage, think hours on the road and not minutes. It was fun zipping back to the office from Plymouth or
    Aurora on deadline.
    Overall, a good opportunity for a young reporter.
  3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I have two friends who once worked at the WDN; they still live there and I have visited there several times.

There's a building on the waterfront with a cannon ball still stuck in the side from the War of Northern Aggression, and Snooker's Oyster House or something on the river too. Housing should be affordable.

Neat little downtown, running through it one steamy July AM reminded me of the scene in "The Big Chill" when they are out running through Kevin Kline's adopted hometown.
Draft saved Draft deleted