1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter wanted to cover Va.Tech

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Nov 29, 2011.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

So now we're COMPLETELY off the rails. You said if you took this job, you'd be better off living 45 minutes away so that you wouldn't be recognized in public.

Now we're talking about elementary school teachers doing shots at a TGI Friday's?

2. Hoos3725

Hoos3725 Member

Sorry to get us back on topic, but I was under the impression Blacksburg was a fairly cheap place to live. Compared to Charlottesville, Richmond or Fairfax, at least. I'm not a fan of small towns. I think living in Blacksburg is the biggest downside to this job. And I've lived in Blacksburg before. It's nice as college towns go.

I, too, am glad to see this job is being posted. I wasn't sure it was going to happen. Whoever gets it will be a stud.

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Unless there's some sort of morals clause in the teacher's contract, I don't see the issue. If parents are so sheltered that they don't understand how a legal adult can partake in the legal substance alcohol, then there's not much you can do for them. If said teacher does 10 shots of Jager and gets busted for public intoxication or DUI, that's another matter entirely, but that's going to be the case for anyone in any job.

4. Mystery Meat II

YOU WILL TAUNT 93DEVIL FOR HIS OPINION WHETHER YOU WANT TO OR NOT, BUSTER

A Craigslist search indicates that housing costs are a little cheaper than Richmond, but not markedly so. And I'm assuming most of the cheaper places are around the college itself and populated mostly by college kids. Otherwise, the rents aren't that far off from Richmond or Norfolk and more expensive than Lynchburg or Danville. Much cheaper than DC, but what in Virginia isn't?

5. imjustagirl

Alexandria? :D

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think you should use your mini-celebrity status and hire a driver to take you around Blacksburg. Then you can do shots safely behind the privacy of tinted windows.

Either that, or just hire some goons. One can be your protection, while the other can be your food taster. :D

7. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

MG already has a great reporter who's been churning out quality VT copy for years. This opening very easily could be, and perhaps should be, handled internally.

8. imjustagirl

If you're talking about the god-like creature that is Nathan Warters, I agree. :)

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Which may be the way this one goes.

10. Hoos3725

Hoos3725 Member

That wouldn't surprise me in the least.

11. Mystery Meat II

We True Virginians™ consider everything north of the Cracker Barrel at the Massaponax exit off I-95 to be the sovereign state of DC

12. Hoos3725

Hoos3725 Member

I thought it was the state of NoVa.

Draft saved Draft deleted