1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter wanted to cover Va.Tech

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I've never had a job as big as this one and probably never will, but I've been a sports reporter at a couple of podunky towns, and nobody recognized me. Unless you're a long-time or big-time columnist, a sports writer won't get noticed at the grocery store or Wendy's unless they actually say what they do for a living. Guessing that'll be the case here too.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Sorry, I can't get over the idea that poor 93D couldn't go out for dinner without being mobbed for autographs because of his super-awesome job.

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Good point. Sounds like a job for a talented reporter with an unlong salary history.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It's not that.

If I want to buy a case of beer after work and drink it in my garage, I can. If I lived up where I work, I would think twice about it.

I have been out with school administrators to dinner or watching a game and the second they see a person they know, or a kid in their school, they shove the beer to the other side of the table.

It's not that everyone would know you, but all it takes is a couple.

Hey, I'm probably wrong on the sports side, but in education you have to consider this.

5. imjustagirl

So wait ... you're a behind-the-scenes administrator in a large city. And you can't have a beer with dinner?

Issues are all yours, dude. No need to try to push it on this job where NORMAL people would probably be applying.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's amazing the number of stories you find when you live in a college town that you would completely miss if you didn't.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

If you lived where you work, would you be worried that your fans would be constantly beating at your garage door like zombies trying to get a piece of you?

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That, and the paparazzi. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. 93Devil

Thanks everyone.

I hope your kid sees your teacher doing shots this weekend at TGI Fridays.

10. imjustagirl

1. You're not a teacher.
    2. You're not talking about doing shots.
    3. Any adult is allowed to have a beer with dinner. They just are.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Do you have a TGI Fridays in your garage? I'm jealous!

12. 93Devil

I might be wrong about Blacksburg, but some parents would be mortified if they saw a school employee, especially at the elementary level, drinking or smoking in front of their child. Trust me on that.

Draft saved Draft deleted