1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter wanted to cover Va.Tech

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Nov 29, 2011.

1. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

Reporter - Sports
    Tracking Code
    RNI-001222
    Job Description
    The Richmond Times-Dispatch seeks a dogged reporter, entertaining writer and social media expert to cover Virginia Tech athletics for the newspaper and various digital products. The position requires living in Blacksburg, Va., and communicating daily with the Times-Dispatch sports editor. The reporter primarily will cover Virginia Tech football and men's basketball, but is expected to cover all sports through notes packages, blogging and occasional features and game stories. This reporter will be expected to blog, include multimedia with blog postings, and use social media on a regular basis. We are looking for a beat writer with at least five years of experience covering a college football or college basketball beat in a highly competitive atmosphere. Submit your resume, cover letter, clips and include examples of multimedia and social networking at mediageneral.com. Links are acceptable, but must be provided with your clips while submitting the application.
    Please apply online at www.mediageneral.com/careers Reference Job ID #RNI-001222
    Required Skills
    Excellent writing, reporting and verbal skills are essential, as is the ability to build sources and cover a beat. Must have proven organizational skills but also be able to adapt and multitask as needed in a digital newsroom. The ability to produce and edit both video and audio is essential, as is the ability to interact with readers and sources using social media. Must have experience using Windows-based operating system, and knowledge of content management systems, blogging programs, and video and audio editing programs is preferred. Knowledge of sports and the workings of college athletics is essential. The ability to speak Spanish is desired, but not essential.
    Required Experience
    We are looking for a writer with at least three years of experience -- preferably five years -- covering a college sports beat in a highly competitive atmosphere. Experience shooting and editing video, blogging and using social media is preferred.
    Job Location
    Blacksburg, VA US
    Position Type
    Full-Time/Regular
    Salary
    45,000.00 - 52,915.20 USD

Click on link to apply.

https://mediageneral.silkroad.com/epostings/index.cfm?fuseaction=app.dspjob&jobid=898&company_id=16186&version=1&jobBoardId=1112

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

45K would go a long way in SW VA.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Why the hell would you need to speak Spanish to cover Virginia Tech?

4. SeanKennedy

SeanKennedy Member

Very glad to see this. Big shoes.

5. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Slater was the man on this beat, did great work going against the guys from the Post and Virginian Pilot every day. Great job.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My old job!! With more to do now thanks to online and social media and all that - a job I happily passed on to Slater.

Moddy Gold Seal and all that jazz.

7. 93Devil

No se.

8. Moderator1

How much time have you spent in Blacksburg? It is not a particularly cheap place to live.
    Job still gets the gold star. It can be done. But let's not toss out horseshit just to toss it out there.

9. 93Devil

Why would you have to live in Blacksburg, especially if everyone in that small town knew you were the Tech writer?

Would the commute from Roanoke or Salem actually kill someone? I think Mapquest has it at 33 miles, and if anyone has never been to Roanoke, they know its a fantastic little town.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I apparently missed it, but where's Slater?

11. Moderator1

It's 45 minutes to Roanoke. And, yeah, you COULD live there. But that's a lot of time in the car when you could be working and a lot of gas. Gas would offset the savings and then some. And I'm not sure how much you'd save. No, it wouldn't KILL anyone. It would just waste a lot of time.

Roanoke is a great town and it isn't that little.
    Blacksburg is a great college town (as are most college towns - I love college towns)
    Radford is a fine place, too.

Point is, it isn't all that cheap. Cheaper than DC? Yeah. Cheaper than Richmond? Not by much if any.

Slater is working for the Charleston paper, living in Columbia and covering South Carolina.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Oh, I don't know. Perhaps because that's where VT is? And what does a writer's popularity, especially on this beat, have to do with where he or she lives?

Draft saved Draft deleted