1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter wanted in Ottumwa, Iowa

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Jan 31, 2012.

1. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

from jj.com

Company: Ottumwa Courier
    Position:
    Local Sports Reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $20,000 to $25,000
    Ad Expires: March 2, 2012
    Job ID: 1316238

Description:

Sports Reporter

The Ottumwa Courier located in Ottumwa, Iowa is looking for a full-time sports reporter to join its award-winning sports staff to help cover the Ottumwa and southeast Iowa high school sports beat as well Indian Hills Community College.

Qualified applicants should be able to cover scheduled events but also have an eye for feature and spot news. A bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience is necessary, as well as the ability to work within deadlines, establish connections with coaches, athletes and athletic directors, while constantly searching for fresh stories and unique angles. Some pagination, computer and photo experience as well as good typing skills, and knowledge of interactive media are desired. We are willing to train a recent journalism graduate that is highly motivated and is dedicated to learning. Most sports coverage takes place in the evenings.

This is a great opportunity to get your foot in the door if you are seeking a career in sports journalism.
    The Ottumwa Courier is a 6-day a week, 11,000 circulation newspaper that is owned by CNHI. Ottumwa is located 90 miles southeast of Des Moines and a short drive from both Iowa and Iowa State universities.

In exchange for your talents we offer a full benefit package including, medical, dental, eye care, 401k, disability, and paid vacations. The Ottumwa Courier is an equal opportunity employer.

To apply, e-mail a resume and cover letter to editor, Jeff@ottumwacourier.com.

2. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

This gig has the Radar O'Reilly stamp of approval.

3. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

I knew it was a matter of time before a Radar O'Reilly comment was made.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Don't know much about the staff situation, but I can tell you a bit about the town.

PROS: Cost of living is low, Indian Hills always has a top JUCO b-ball team to cover, plenty of opportunities for feature stories on athletes/residents from a wide range of backgrounds -- especially from Latin America. It would help to speak Spanish. Nearby Fairfield is chock full of inneresting characters ... (it's the home of Maharishi University).

CONS: Ottumwa is a meatpacking town -- I believe the plant is owned by Cargill these days. There's been labor strife in the past, and the usual social upheaval that comes from a predominantly immigrant work force. There's no quick, direct way to Iowa City, despite what the ad says. I highly doubt you will be covering any Hawkeye or Cyclone sporting events.

Probably a decent job opportunity for a recent college grad.

Draft saved Draft deleted