1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, Wallowa County Chieftain

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by brownsugar, Sep 19, 2006.

1. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Wrong NW town. She was from Walla Walla.

And her name was Tonya. Gorgeous, if not a nutcase. She was on the Chicago season.

2. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Ahh, very good catch. My knowledge of the Pacific Northwest is limited. ... Very much a nutcase, but most hot girls are. Kidding!

3. RFB-Boy

RFB-Boy Member

Wallowa County is where the folks headed to the coast on the Oregon Trail stopped and said, "Close enough." Come to think of it, so is most of Idaho. But it is a pretty beautiful area for the part of Oregon it's in. Yeah, you'll have to drive a couple hours to get anywhere, but unless you're at a major in the NW, you'll have to do that anyway. Not a bad starting or stopping point would be my guess.

And most folks from Walla Walla are a little nuts. I blame the obsessive-compulsive city name and the sweet onions.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

RFB - you certainly are too kind to bring a halt to that list as quickly as you did.

5. RFB-Boy

RFB-Boy Member

What can I say? It's a gift.

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Just to fill in a couple small gaps:

Enterprise (the lone 2A school of the three, the others are 1A) is now the Outlaws, though you will still find some Savages merchandise around town. Joseph and Wallowa both play 8-man football, so it's not a bad spot if you're into that.

The area is rich with natural beauty, though you'll be pretty much on your own for things to do. Chief Joseph Days is one of the best rodeos in the region, attracting some of the top talent in the nation. The area is surrounded by the Wallowa-Whitman National Forest, and roads in and out of the area are sparce. Highway 82 is two lanes up through the mountains all the way to La Grande (70 miles), which is the nearest Interstate on-ramp.

Dave Hassler, a former SE and man of many hats, moved on to a paper in The Dalles. There's been at least one, maybe two, people who've held the position since then. It's not a bad place to start, or end, a career.

7. Seven Land

Seven Land New Member

Eight-man football is a blast -- wide open spaces and the best athletes really get to do their thing.

As someone who knows the area (and the paper) quite well, I can tell anyone who is interested in this about both the company that owns the Chieftain and the newspaper/staff/community. Just PM me. I agree that it's a great gig for the very start or end of a career in sportswriting.

Also, Hassler was the ME in Enterprise; he just filled in on sports when the SE got double-booked. He's writing sports full time at the little daily in The Dalles now.

Draft saved Draft deleted