1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, University of Louisville Beat

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by LesJ9488, Sep 6, 2013.

1. LesJ9488

LesJ9488 Member

C.L. Brown is leaving the Courier-Journal for a job with ESPN covering UNC athletics.

Big-time gig, and Creig Ewing is an excellent sports editor. Good luck to all that apply.

https://career4.successfactors.com/career?career_ns=job_listing&company=Gannett&navBarLevel=JOB_SEARCH&rcm_site_locale=en_US&career_job_req_id=21326&selected_lang=en_US&jobAlertController_jobAlertId=&jobAlertController_jobAlertName=&_s.crb=rK0uyH3n8oqrb015uhTItEL7%2f5A%3d

Will report and write stories about the University of Louisville sports teams, primarily football and basketball and other topics as necessary, primarily for the daily newspaper and online.

The beat writer also is expected to have a strong social media presence, including maintaining an active blog. Also, the writer will be required to shoot and edit video as well as appear on camera.

-- Will write news and/or feature stories based on information gained through personal and telephone interviews, attendance at news and sports events and research.

-- Will meet deadlines and perform satisfactorily under intense deadline pressure. Will work closely with assigning editors and follow their directions.

-- Will show initiative by developing news sources and generating story ideas. Will devellop expertise in area of reporting specialization.

-- Must have valid driver's license and own transportation.

-- Must be willing to travel.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I wonder if Creig would mind that I've never covered a college basketball program.

4. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I know a lot of sports sections do a "Page Two," but I really love Louisville's. CJ does some good stuff.

5. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

In one of his last articles for the C-J, Brown spelled out "T-H-A-N-K Y-O-U L-O-U-I-S-V-I-L-L-E" using the first letter of each graph:

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20130907/SPORTS02/309070067

6. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

That was pretty cool with first letter of each graf. No difficult letters, so not that forced ...

7. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

Well done.

8. Adam Himmelsbach

Adam Himmelsbach New Member

University of Louisville beat writer, Louisville Courier-Journal

Hey guys, I'm not the one making this call, but was asked to spread the word. I've been at the C-J for a year and can vouch for the intense interest sports coverage generates here, and it's obviously not a bad time to cover Louisville.

Like everyone these days, they're looking for someone with great multimedia skills, especially shooting video. Also, it's best if you have experience covering a college or pro beat. (This job is football and basketball)

You should send a resume, clips, video samples, blog entries, etc. to sports editor Creig Ewing at:

acewing@louisvil.gannett.com

Or snail mail.

Feel free to hit me up if you have questions. Last words of advice: did I mention the importance of video?

-Adam

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

It's been done before.

10. Ibot1947

Ibot1947 New Member

Re: University of Louisville beat writer, Louisville Courier-Journal

What about those who applied through the Gannett site, should they reapply with this avenue?

11. Zads07

Zads07 Member

Any update on this one?

12. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted