1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter- Union, SC

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Sep 14, 2013.

1. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

an auto mechanic also makes a pretty penny compared to a community weekly reporter/desker/photographer/blogger/socialmediaczar/janitor

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Are they paying $8 an hour, or is it $9?

3. PirateSports

PirateSports Member

Here's a little background on the Union Daily Times.

The UDT is a five-day-a-week daily owned by the nasty beast that is Civitas Media (Heartland Publications). Union, Newberry and Winnsboro are all under the regional umbrella, maybe a few of the other SC shops, but I'm not really sure.

It's been a revolving door of people since all but one member of the editorial staff quit and started their own weekly newspaper in town several years ago. The Union County News has hometown folks working at and owning the newspaper, including a really nice, well-respected sports editor.

To say that there's tension between both newspapers is an understatement.

Union is probably best known for a notorious resident — Susan Smith.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Outing alert: YankeeFan is a publisher trainee somewhere.

5. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

If having and maintaining a $500-$1,000 camera is a requirement for a $23,000 a year job, well good luck with that. And mechanics furnish their own hand tools, but much of the pricier stuff is provided by the shop. More importantly, mechanics always need the tools, whereas if you advance in this business, the need for the camera vanishes quickly.

I also enjoy that the ad saying tools are required also asks for FBI and child abuse clearance. I'm guessing that's not industry standard.

6. It was a job with a school district, so I get the need for an FBI clearance. But a school district that buys Mercedes can also afford tools.

7. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

No idea what this means. I will say that I am one of the very few people here who post under my own name.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Thankfully, I don't need to work for a company such as this, nor do I need to spend hours of my day being a condescending, intentionally contrarian troll on a website devoted to a field that I don't and have never worked in.

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

For a low-paying newspaper to have this kind of requirement, yes, it's unreasonable.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

And you know what "egos and attitudes" actually means in this job ad? Self-respect and an unwillingness to be walked all over.

11. I work in a field where having an ego and attitude is one of the bare minimum requirements. Next time I need advice on how to lose jobs in government, airline industries, and with MLB clubs, I'll let you know.

12. Gold

Gold Active Member

Show me a writer without an ego, and I'll show you a mediocre writer.

Draft saved Draft deleted