1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter- Toledo, OH

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, May 30, 2014.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I would just post resume. It does not say to send clips. In red letters it says: "Please use the box below to forward your resume to this employer."

2. FusilliJerry

FusilliJerry Member

Strong reading comprehension skills.

3. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

You'd be surprised how many people lack it, especially when applying for jobs.

4. Gold

Gold Active Member

No. That is around the starting salary for many new teachers, so it is not unreasonable.

5. tacheles

tacheles New Member

Why would the Blade not identify itself in this job ad?

6. FusilliJerry

FusilliJerry Member

Probably an oversight, to be honest.

7. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Got cut

8. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

The Blade almost never identifies itself in job ads. I don't know why ... no other daily covers the U of Toledo, and the only other paper that covers BG is much, much smaller.

That said, the Block family is quite quirky. The paper (I'm sure at the family's direction) still uses courtesy titles outside of sports, runs the occasional front-page editorial and does some other things that I'm sure some people might find quaint or outdated. Don't get me wrong, the paper has a SOLID sports section, but the paper as a whole has some quirks. And I'm sure the way the job ad is written is one of them. Not saying right or wrong here ... it is what it is.

BTW, The Blade used to pay much higher, as in well into the 50s, thanks to a strong Guild. But the pay scale for new hires was reduced drastically at the start of the economic downturn.

9. bakersdozen

bakersdozen New Member

Anyone have an update on this one? Last I heard, they were reviewing 12 applicants. But that was at the beginning of June.

10. NJM33

NJM33 New Member

Had one interview last week, two more this week. All goes well, they'll hire one of the three. Otherwise, they'll move to next level of candidates.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

This is not a teaching position. Whether or not is it a learning position is open to debate.

12. JSkebba

JSkebba New Member

I can confirm this job has been filled. Not sure if I'm allowed to say who, so I'll hold off on giving a name.

Draft saved Draft deleted