1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter to focus on the Redskins - Fredericksburg, Va.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Justin_Rice, May 19, 2011.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

http://www.fredericksburg.com/Homes/detail?list_numb=SP7552916&prevList=http://www.fredericksburg.com/Homes/Listings?county=SPOTSYLVANIA&prng=0%7E199999&query_start=21

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

I keep hearing about things to do. Not trying to poke at anyone in particular but what is it that you want to do?

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If I was single, I would want people to do things with, to be able to walk or take a short drive to a bar to watch a game, play in local sports leagues, go to a concert, hear live music, not have to drive 10 miles to get to a library, grocery store or a movie theater, have the abilty to have high speed internet at my house...

4. Manassas and Woodbridge appear to have more shops and restaurants, so I would guess there are more bars. There's also a concert pavilion that draws very big names just outside Manassas and the Nationals' Single-A team plays in Woodbridge. Loudoun County doesn't have any of that. Plus, until the Silver Line of the Metro gets built in about five years, it is substantially easier to get to Washington from Manassas or Woodbridge than it is from Leesburg.

Color me shocked. That said, Mary Washington hardly qualifies as a college, although I will say there is substantially more to do in Fredericksburg than in Warrenton or Culpeper.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

You can have all that stuff in Culpeper. U2 ain't coming to town, but there is live music.

6. They got rid of most of the lights, but that just made more people want to use 28, so it's worse during rush hour. But other times it's much better. And there's a Wegmans, a Pei Wei and a Five Guys near Redskins Park now.

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Fredericksburg has a Capital Ale House. That counts for a lot.

8. Not heard of the second one, but Wegman's and Five Guys are awesome.

9. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Five Guys is overrated. Whataburger easily has it beat.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Judging a place if it has a greasy spoon like Five Guys or Whataburger or a pricey grocery store like Wegmans and Kroger is crazy. Chances are, if you're doing the job correctly, you won't be spending much time in those places.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Yes, because the best beat writers don't need to eat or buy groceries.

12. So, if you're doing the job correctly, you won't be eating at restaurants and you won't be eating at home. No wonder newspapers don't pay well if their best employees don't need to eat.

Draft saved Draft deleted