1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter to focus on the Redskins - Fredericksburg, Va.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Justin_Rice, May 19, 2011.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

And the farthest south is Albemarle, which is a huge haul from NOVA.

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Ah, the Northwestern Region, otherwise known as The Confederation Of Teams That Aren't In Fairfax, Hampton Roads Or Richmond. That makes Region B look *almost* not unwieldly.

3. No kidding. Every coach in the Cardinal, Cedar Run and Commonwealth who gets the runner-up bid to regionals prays that they don't draw the Western Valley that year.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Only because they don't want to face the mighty PATRICK HENRY PATRIOTS.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Nothing better than making GW Danville have to go to Potomac for a playoff game, and vice versa. Friggin four-plus hour bus ride for those kids.

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Meat, Dan River and Clarke County would like to have a word.

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

At least they're roughly on the same longitude.

Actually, Region IV might have the longest one-way trip for two schools, because I was there for it, and it also involved Dan River back when they were AA. They hosted Lee in a first-round region softball game. Five hours one way, according to Google -- or roughly the distance between their school and Dayton, Ohio. According to the Lee coach, it took them more than seven, considering they were in an old bus rumbling through the mountains.

Both are A schools now, but mercifully in different regions.

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I don't know what the big deal is. Lee and Dan River are both on Highway 58.

9. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

This is an honestly legit question... what do they pay for gas mileage here? That almost seems like it could be a make-or-break kind of thing based on the logistics.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Why make or break? Most places are not going to pay you the federal standard, and you're going to need to recoup that on your taxes.

11. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

See, I'm a standardized deduction kind of guy. I like getting paid the federal standard -- or more -- for mileage.

12. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

When I make the high school schedule, I keep this in mind. It was a rare day when I sent Rich to cover anything south of Stafford County.

Draft saved Draft deleted