1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter to focus on the Redskins - Fredericksburg, Va.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Justin_Rice, May 19, 2011.

1. Word.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that even in Ashburn, you're not going to find an apartment to rent for any cheaper than $1,000 a month.

3. SeanKennedy

SeanKennedy Member

Rich did a hell of a job on this beat, and that wasn't easy to do with all of the other outlets in the area. Big shoes.

49k print circ., but Redskins fans provide clicks galore.

4. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

Let's keep SJ from the wrath of The Dan.

5. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

We have a salary range in mind, but I'd advise potential job seekers not to read too much into what they read here.

:)

See response No. 1 ...

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

You could live somewhere in Fauquier or Prince William Co. where prices are cheaper, particularly in Fauquier County. It would be a pretty easy drive back to Fredericksburg and put you less than an hour from Ashburn, according to Google Maps.

Justin is a good dude. I got an invite to the legendary poker game once, but sadly couldn't make it. Still a highlight of my career just to get the offer though. :)

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I only got to go once before moving about 10 states away. Shame.

8. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

This.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I've missed the poker game the last couple of years ... always fun to watch the way certain people um, reacted, to losing. (Not you, Justin. Ha.)

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Oh, and I wasn't necessarily making any commentary of the pay range of the job. I'm not privy to that info. Just want people who aren't familiar with the area to realize that NoVa ain't the cheapest place to live. When I grew up there, Fauquier County was the hinterlands. Now it's just another suburb. Crazy. Lots of good people at the Freelance-Star. Good luck to those who apply.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

We have a couple FL-S alums in our newsroom. They seem to churn out quality folk, consistently.

12. Prices aren't cheaper in the PWC than they would be in Loudoun. Both counties have been swallowed up by the D.C. metro area. Fauquier is still rural enough to have lower prices, but you're going to be about 45 minutes to an hour from Redskins Park.

There's also the matter of you helping out with preps in the offseason, because with the exception of the Fauquier County schools, all of the schools in the Free Lance-Star's coverage map play their games in the opposite direction. The pocket of schools in that area play in the Commonwealth and Battlefield Districts. The furthest north team in the Commonwealth is North Stafford, which is manageable, but the Battlefield is clustered in Culpeper and Spotsylvania. Good gig, but won't be easy with all the driving you'll do.

Draft saved Draft deleted