1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, Thomasville, Georgia

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Jan 25, 2013.

1. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

As seen on Journalismjobs.com.....

Company: Thomasville Times-Enterprise

Salary: $20,000 to $25,000

Description:

The Thomasville Times-Enterprise, one of Georgia's leading small newspapers, is searching for a sports writer with a wide range of skills. Strong feature writing is a trademark of this six-days-a-week paper based in a prep football hotbed. In addition to feature writing, the successful candidate's responsibilities will include game coverage and page design. Occasional news reporting is required. E-mail resumes to mark.lastinger@gaflnews.com or send them to Thomasville Times-Enterprise, c/o Mark Lastinger, P.O. Box 650, Thomasville, Ga. 31799.

2. Justin Biebler

Justin Biebler Active Member

Home of the big oak, got my picture taken by the camera there next to the tree....
    http://www.thomasvillega.com/plogger/index.php?level=album&id=37
    That's all I got.

3. ericedholm

ericedholm New Member

I was *this* close to taking a college football position many there years ago when I was starting out. It sounded cool: covering Florida, Georgia, Ga. Tech, FSU, Valdosta State, Georgia Southern, few D-III schools ...

It would have been a great way to make contacts, etc. Interesting job for someone new to the biz.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Right down the road from Cairo, home of the Syrupmakers.

It is indeed top-shelf prep football, particularly at Thomas County Central, although its true glory days (5 state titles in 6 years) seem to be behind it.

Other than that, it's a small town in deep south Georgia, if a slightly more charming one than many of the others scattered around that part of the world. What it's not is anywhere near Atlanta. What it is is relatively close to Tallahassee, where I'm sure a strapping 23- or 24-year-old could have a fine time.

As a first or second job, I'm sure you could do worse, and I'm sure you could do better.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Excellent starting place. Chance to see some outstanding athletes and see some of the best prep football in the country.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Billiard Academy chili dogs FTW!

Do they still have insanely early deadlines? When I was at a sister paper, our joke was "Yesterday's news tomorrow."

ETA: Meant to also say Tally is more than relatively close. More like a 30-40 min drive max.

7. slc10

slc10 Member

A 50-year-old dude might be inclined to apply. I may check it out. I am going to Bradenton for a few days and I can make a stop on the return trip. Ihave been there once to cover a baseball series. Its okay.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

I recall a guy named Ray Willet who used to run the sports section there. He was a great guy and definitely a much older journalist.

9. It's CNHI, and last I recall, there were 20 furlough days a year. Anyone know where Clint went? I think it's a one-person department or it was at one time (in 2011 it was).

10. slc10

slc10 Member

I read their website today. He accepted a position with the UGA campus in Tifton, GA. That is his hometown.

11. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

Definitely some good prep sports down there and if you're not too far from Tallahassee, that's not a bad thing, either. Some of the road trips for football can be a bit far, though. TCC is in the same region with schools in Columbus and Harris County, which is several hours north.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

If you're a one-man staff, I dunno how much travel you'd do, at least during the regular season. Would have to think that for football, for example, one of TCC or Thomasville would be home most weeks. There's probably also a private school floating around down there, although I wouldn't have any idea what it is.

Draft saved Draft deleted