1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, The Times-Tribune (Corbin, Ky.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jbrown1450, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Jbrown1450

Jbrown1450 New Member

From JJobs.com: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=455586

The Times-Tribune in Corbin, Ky. is seeking a motivated individual to join its sports staff. The successful candidate will work with the sports editor to develop story ideas and coverage for several area high schools. Responsibilities will include event coverage, features and page design. Candidates should have strong writing and reporting skills, be willing to travel, and able to work nights and weekends. Experience with InDesign helpful. Photography skills are a plus. Did we mention that our small daily newspaper is a consistent winner of the Kentucky Press Association General Excellence Award? If you are interested in joining this winning team, send your resume and clips to: Times-Tribune Sports Reporter c/o Les Dixon, 201 N. Kentucky Ave., Corbin, KY 40701, email, ldixon@thetimestribune.com or FAX 606- 528-9850.

Web site: http://www.thetimestribune.com/

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

CNHI. Pay is below peanuts.

That said, Les Dixon is good people and there are some good high school teams in the coverage area. You should get opportunities to cover UK, as well.

Looks like Les is flying solo right now, so I'd imagine he wants to get this done ASAP.

But still ... CNHI. Pay is below peanuts.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

A few things are keeping me away from this:
    1. It's CNHI.
    2. My current job.
    3. I hate that town with an undying passion.

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Hometown of Frank Selvy, who scored 100 points in a game for Furman back in the 50s. That's all I've got.

5. for_the_hunt

for_the_hunt Member

What's the circulation?

I couldn't find it at http://abcas3.accessabc.com/ecirc/newssearchus.asp ... and don't mean to threadjack, but why aren't some papers listed here?

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It costs money to have your circulation audited. Let your imagination run wild from there.

I've never been there except to pass by the exit on I-75, but Corbin has a long reputation as a racist shithole.

7. You won't cover Kentucky. You may get to go watch a game if you're lucky-football wise. Being a small paper, it gets put at the bottom for basketball. There's six high schools-Barbourville, Corbin, Lynn Camp, Whitley County, Williamsburg and Knox Central. Then there's the two NAIA schools-Union and Cumberland.

If Bill Hanson is still the publisher, he's a good person to work under.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

No, you won't get to cover Kentucky --- not as a beat. But there will be opportunities to go to Lexington, unless they've drastically cut back on travel.

9. The only time you'd go to Lexington is if there's a big event-state cross country meet, Barbourville or Williamsburg make the All A basketball tourney in Richmond, stuff like that. Unless they travel more than they used to, that's about it. You'd travel for the high school football playoffs-even as far as just south of Cincinnati.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Yep.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

My family used to drive through there en route to Florida on US 25, before that stretch of I-75 was opened. It was a brutal, slow part of the ride, for sure.

On a positive note, we also could buy Kickapoo Joy Juice at the Kayo gas station.

Other than that, nothin to add about Corbin. Always thought Berea was far nicer, with a classy hotel staffed by the college kids that we stayed in a couple times.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

There's a reason for that. Do a Google search for the 1919 lynchings/race riot in Corbin. They drove every black railroad worker out of town for decades afterward.

I had a college class that showed one of those terrible, slide-show-quality educational videos -- one of the segments was all about "current" (so to speak) residents of Corbin who were in complete denial about the town's racist history. It's a fascinating, horrifying story.

Draft saved Draft deleted