1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, The Robesonian (Lumberton, N.C.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tarheel316, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

The SE there is a good guy, knows his stuff. Lumberton isn't exactly a thriving metropolis but is about 90 minutes from the coast. Job would probably be mostly preps plus UNC-Pembroke. I have never met him but have heard the editor is real difficult to work for.

The Robesonian, a daily newspaper in Southeastern North Carolina, is looking for a sports writer. Journalism degree is preferred, but not required. Great opportunity for someone trying to launch a career. The coverage is mostly high school and The University of North Carolina at Pembroke, but there is an opportunity to cover the occasional ACC game or Carolina Panthers contest. Wages and benefits are competitive. Send resume and clips to Donnie Douglas, editor, P.O. Box 1028, Lumberton, N.C. 28359. Or e-mail them to dbdouglas@carolina.net. Do not send as an attachment.

2. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I have never seen the Robesonian at an ACC game. If you do go, I expect it will be on your own time and your own dime. And probably plan for auxillary seating to be your new home.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yeah ... that's a bit of a hike to the Triangle, Triad and Charlotte Metro from Robeson County.

Khary McGhee, the former SE, is one of the true good guys. He moved down there from a nice spot in Fayetteville. Low-key but very good. To hear that he'll still help a youngster likely to fill the spot, even after stepping down as SE, doesn't surprise me in the least.

His editor. Well ... can't say as my experience with him was too wonderful to say the least. And crime in that county is among the worst in North Carolina. That's not The Robesonian's fault, but in the case of full disclosure ...

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

PM me for details. I haven't been that way in a few years, but I could probably fill you in.

The best bet for covering the ACC there is to go write a feature on a local kid. Martrel Brown at NC State is from the county. So is Kelvin Sampson, but I don't know if Indiana plays anywhere that close to Lumberton.

5. Khary McGhee

Khary McGhee New Member

Folks,

I'm still at The Robesonian but I stepped down as sports editor about a month ago to concentrate more on writing and get a a bit of my life back. Being the SE at a small newspaper is a ton of work and requires a lot of time, especially with losing two really good staffers since taking on the job in January. Life is so much more relaxing now.

Tim Wilkins, who has been sports editor at the paper in Rockingham and managing editor here, is the new sports editor. Good guy. Plus, I'm still here and still eager to help the young reporter right for this job. There's an opportunity to do really good work here and move on to a bigger and better paper.

As for ACC stuff, I think some of y'all have hit the nail on the head. We have enough going on around here that it's hard to get up to the Triangle for games. But when I was SE we did take time to head up to do good packages on Duke-UNC basketball from press conferences the day before, coverage of the U.S. Women's Open and stories from ACC Football media day. When the opportunity presents itself it's just a matter of taking it.

PM me for any other questions you have about the job.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I didn't know Khary had left, but Tim is a good guy and could really help a young writer get better. I always liked it when he edited my stuff.

7. Tarheel316

Khary, as the SE of a small daily myself, I can relate. Are you doing sports or news?

8. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

I worked at this stop not too long ago, but oddly enough it seems like it's been longer than that.

It was my first stop coming out of college and was a good 'first job' to have. I got to do a bit of everything (write, desk and other stuff) and learned a tremendous amount of stuff there. The experience has definitely helped me in the time since I've been there. I would echo what everyone else says here about ACC stuff. If you can be creative, however, it can be done. The same would hold true with auto racing if that's your deal with Darlington an hour away and Charlotte a shade over two hours away.

It's an afternoon edition five days a week, and the nice thing in that, especially in the slow months, is being able to get out and do stuff in the late afternoon, early evenings. Heck, if you play your cards right, a trip to RDU or the coast can be managed.

Lumberton's a small town, I won't lie. But one thing about the place is that it has no shortage for things going on news-wise. For example, this past week the wal-mart had to be evacuated because some guy called in a threat to blow the place up.

PM me with any other questions.

9. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I interviewed for a job like this here awhile ago but turned it down. The paper seems solid and those that work there do seem intent on grooming young writers.

But for me, I just could not imagine spending that much time in a place like Lumberton. It came down to a personal choice for me. There really is nothing in the town and, upon further research, the crime rate is surprisingly high, or at least was.

This can be a good first job for a newbie, but I don't see anyone spending too much time there.

10. Khary McGhee

Khary McGhee New Member

I'm still in sports. I did news for about six months at the beginning of my career and features for a short time just before leaving The Fayetteville Observer: Perhaps the two most miserable periods of my career, followed closely by being a manager for a sports department. Sports underling appears to be my calling for right now.

On the crime in Lumberton, let me say that I know Robeson County has a high crime rate in part because of its proximity to I-95 (makes it a prime area for bank robberies). But in Lumberton proper there are good and bad areas. The area most of our staffers live is a very nice, fairly upscale downtown area that's very affordable. That area is essentially crime free, but then again, I live about 30 minutes away up in Fayetteville, which, like Lumberton, has the reputation for being a high-crime area but that's based on seedier parts of town like Bragg Blvd. and what downtown Fayetteville used to be.

We have staffers from all over North Carolina and the South, and I think each one of them would tell you that they've never had an issue with feeling unsafe.

11. Tarheel316

Khary, those are good points. As far as being safe, there are good and bad areas in almost every city. But what's it like working for Donnie Douglas? I hear he is really difficult to work for.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

There used to be a gas station off 95 in Lumberton that restored TR6s. I used to stop every time I was through there and drool. When I finally got enough cheese to buy one, I couldn't find the place. Right off exit 22.
    Other than that, I don't know shit about the town or the job.

Draft saved Draft deleted