1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, The Robesonian (Lumberton, N.C.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Khary McGhee, Mar 5, 2007.

1. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

I worked here for my first job out of college. It's a good starting out point for someone fresh out of school, you learn a good bit of stuff that will serve you in this profession. PM me for details / questions.

also, Dennis Pillion is the one who is leaving.

2. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

At least you get to cover UNCP football now -- even if it is the Peach Belt.

3. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Not to be a dick but I think, in my state at least, simlply driving more than 20 mph over the speed limit qualifies as driving recklessly. I don't think you necessarily have to be weaving in out of traffic to get a reckless driving ticket.

4. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

I know that.

5. boots

boots New Member

Evidently you don't. Otherwise, you wouldn't have been hit with a reckless charge.

6. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

was i speeding? yes. Did I know at the time that driving 20 over was considered reckless? not at the time. doesn't matter either way now.

7. Khary McGhee

Khary McGhee New Member

Thanks for the great responses I've gotten just in the last day.

Just to clarify, I encourage you to send application materials, including clips, to Robesonian editor Donnie Douglas. His address is in the ad that I posted. I have forwarded along the resumes I've gotten so far, and you can feel free to continue to email me if you have questions about the job.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Khary is a super guy. I've had the good fortune of working a couple of assignments where he was at his last stop (at least, I'm pretty sure that was his last stop).

I worry a little about Donnie - my very limited dealings with him were sketchy at best - and Robeson County isn't exactly the most peaceful place considering. Not trying to drive people away, but have to be fair ...

9. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

dealt with Khary a little when i was in NC, he's a good dude.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Donnie is an interesting character. I never really had any major problems with him, but I know people that did. I can certainly see how that happens with him. One thing I respected about him though was that he was very helpful when I left there. I was only seven months out of college and it was my first job. I got an offer at a bigger, better shop, but still felt conflicted about leaving after a short amount of time (When I was hired he said he hoped I'd stay a year). He gave me good advice about the situation and made me feel a lot better.

11. dark_helmet

dark_helmet New Member

As a guy who made it out of Lumberton without getting shot, I can answer any and all questions you may have about the job. After all, this job and several years of intense psychotherapy (unrelated to the job) made me the man I am today.

Donnie's a different cat to work for. I got along with him most of the time. As JT said, he was very helpful when I told him I was leaving for greener pastures. For the kiddies, Khary is a guy who's been where you wanna be and can help you get there. That was not so much the case before he took over.

I never had any negative experiences with the town except boredom, although overhearing the crime reporter make his morning calls was enough of a reminder for me to keep my doors locked at night.

12. SammyB

SammyB New Member

Folks, just like to add my two cents worth on this job. The Robesonian is a great training ground for any young sportswriter because you'll be exposed to every aspect of the biz from design work to writing to photography. UNC Pembroke will be starting what will soon be a quality NCAA Division II football program next fall and the six high schools in the country produce some quality athletes and teams annually. Plus, there is the freedom to cover ACC events and East Carolina, write columns, ect.

I can also vouch for Khary McGhee, a superb writer himself and a guy who knows how to deal with people in a positive manner. He's the kind of person who you want to give 110 percent effort for. Plus, he knows how to make copy better.

I can also say that Donnie Douglas is an excellent editor as well, who cares deeply about the product and only wants to make those around him better. Of course, you may need some ear plugs when Donnie starts calling for you ... sorry D ... We are frat brothers so I can say these things. But seriously, I've worked for Donnie and once you adjust to the decible level he's a great newspaper person.

Robeson County is a different, unique place that may not be for everyone. But in my five years there I had a great experience and met many great folks who I still consider friends today.

Finally, let me say this is my first post on SportsJournalists.com and I was wondering if there were any welcoming prizes coming my way?

Draft saved Draft deleted