1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter -- The Paris News (Texas)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Brent.Wilburn, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Brent.Wilburn

Brent.Wilburn New Member

We have an opening for a sports reporter position in our two-person sports department, and we're trying to fill it pretty quickly.

We're an afternoon paper Monday through Friday with no issue on Saturdays and a morning issue on Sunday. The job includes both writing and layout.

Here's the description:

The Paris News, a growing six-day-a-week afternoon newspaper in Northeast Texas, is looking for a sports writer to help cover 11 high schools, one junior college and a variety of youth sports and recreational activities. The candidate will also aid in page design.

Experience in InDesign and photography is a plus. 
Our company offers a complete benefits package, including health insurance, 401K and paid vacation. Salary is commensurate with experience.

Apply by sending a cover letter, resume, layout and writing samples to sports editor Brent Wilburn by e-mail at brent.wilburn@theparisnews.com.

2. Wadesworth

Wadesworth New Member

This opening was my former position. I got my start at The Paris News right out of college nearly three years ago and have been there ever since. The only reason I'm leaving now is for a non-journalism opportunity in Dallas. Brent is good people, as are the coaches and school admins you'll be working with.

3. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

harry dean stanton was lovely in the movie.

4. AliceBrenda

AliceBrenda Member

As was Ry Cooder on the soundtrack.

5. BWatson

BWatson New Member

This sounds like a pretty solid opportunity for someone looking to get into the business. I'll be sending my stuff in.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I'm bumping just because someone asked about it, only on the wrong thread ...

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

No Saturday edition means better in terms of Friday night deadlines. Probably do a story for the website, then come back with some sort of featurized follow for the Sunday edition. So a little different animal than other 7-day dailies.

8. Brent.Wilburn

Brent.Wilburn New Member

We've filled this one. Thanks to all who applied.

Draft saved Draft deleted