1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, The News & Observer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by stever, May 21, 2012.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Right. Because what could anyone over 30 possibly know about those things. Videography and photography were invented in the past three years and only taught to those who still have Pokemon cards in their attics, right?

2. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

I think his point is employers are more inclined to go the younger route because there is a perception (whether fair or unfair is not for me to decide) they are more up to date and willing to embrace multi- and social-media techniques and trends.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I think anyone with experience in those fields would include it on his or her résumé regardless of age. Keeley was hired because she's very talented and had experience as a sports reporter at probably the best newspaper in the South, not because she can upload a TwitPic.

4. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

And without knowing her, I certainly don't doubt that considering she landed a job I could only dream of. I was just trying to find a better way of crafting what I think Buckeye was trying to say.

5. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Great job, especially for someone that young. N&O has struggled as a paper, but it's still a great job.

6. LitteringAnd

LitteringAnd Member

That's two big-time college beats (Duke hoops and Oklahoma football) going to the young'ns in a week. Highly qualified as the hires are, still incredibly curious.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Assuming you're talking about St. Pete, that ain't in the capital-S South. :)

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, the only paper in Florida that I think of as a southern paper is maybe Jacksonville. Because in Florida, the further north you go, the further south you go... :D

St. Pete is one of the better papers in the state and the country and its preps staff is almost universally acknowledged as the best in the country.

9. Todd M. Adams

Todd M. Adams Member

Laura is destined for big things. This is a fantastic hire by the N&O.

10. 35in44

35in44 Member

Covered the same hoops regional as Laura a couple of years back while she was still at Duke. In limited dealings, struck me as very professional -- more so than many student newspaper reporters. Plus, she's talented.

Best of luck to her, but this is a good hire.

11. Izzy Gould

Izzy Gould Member

RE: Youth vs. experience

Make no mistake, sports editors looking at multimedia as the future want the multifaceted journalist. Simply writing for the next day's newspaper will likely disqualify you from contention for a job.

Writing stories, blogs, Tweets, Facebook posts, live chats while shooting and editing video and taking still photos are all vital skills veterans need to acquire.

Why?

Because those coming through the college pipeline have these tools, and will be hired because they are more experienced in web reporting than the experienced beat reporter. Beat reporting skills can be learned over time. So can video, photo, blogging and Tweeting.

The disconnect? A lot of seasoned veterans do not prioritize acquiring the skills necessary to work in a multimedia world. If they do, they need to ask their editors for proper training. They also need to spend some time in the office.

The news cycle is 24/7. That will never change. And our websites require multimedia because it's easy enough to obtain and an added element to offer to readers.

So how do you convince a sports editor you posses these skills? Simple. You submit multimedia examples with your resume just as you would hyperlinks to your clips.

That requires your resume to be submitted electronically, which if you are multimedia capable should be no problem. If you are sending your resume in the mail, well, I'm probably not making much sense.

12. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Could I just mail a VHS of my video work?

Draft saved Draft deleted