1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, The News-Enterprise (Elizabethtown, Ky.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Central-KY-Kid, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Central is who you think he is.

We haven't covered a WKU home game for basketball or football in quite some time.

As far as the beats, you are correct: Pregame features and advances, postgame columns and notebooks.

However, with the added responsbilities we've had the last few years as well as our deadlines slashed, the pregame stuff has become less of a priority.

Not saying that you can't do it, but with all of our prep coverage and layout responsibilities, it's no longer a big deal if you don't get it done. Far different though when covering SEC, Big East or NCAA Tournament because that's all you have to do at the time is focus on U of L or UK.

And FYI, I'm not a conjoined twin ... at least that's what my other head tells me.

If WKU makes the jump to I-A in football like we think they are, we will re-examine the situation when it presents itself. However, we haven't covered many UK or U of L home games (didn't staff Louisville-Miami and didn't staff UK-Central Michigan or UK-Ole Miss) so far this season, so I can't imagine staffing WKU would suddenly become a priority.

WKU football had a forum at John Hardin HS on Friday ... five people from the community showed up.

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

A guy I work closely with these days worked at E-town a few years ago.

He still speaks highly of the place.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I thought the college coverage had been reduced, but didn't want to say anything because, hell, it's been six years since I was on staff.

That said, if you need anything from up here in the meantime, feel free to contact me. I'll be more than happy to help.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Same here. I used to work there and I'll be back there in a month. It was the best damn job I've had and I'm more than happy to be going back.

Maybe this time around they'll let me out of the cage a little more.

5. Freelance Hack

They're letting you back in for something other than a fantasy draft? :D

Congrats.

6. KYSportsWriter

Hahaha!

Thanks F_H.

7. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Bumped to Update: The newbie will get to work with KYSportsWriter, who recently returned to our rag in the part-time sports assistant role.

8. KYSportsWriter

Yup.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Out of curiosity, what is a part-time sports assistant?

10. boots

boots New Member

A go-fer.

11. Freelance Hack

Part-time sports assistants should excel at three things:

1. Delivering prompt and accurate sports results for the agate page
    2. Handling phone calls on deadline
    3. Taking dinner orders for the sports desk

:D

12. KYSportsWriter

Yeah, that's basically what I do. :D

To add to what F_H said...

4. Type in tons of youth agate every freakin' Wednesday. This includes amateur bowling, youth basketball, and whatever else that doesn't qualify to run any other day.

Draft saved Draft deleted