1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, The News-Enterprise (Elizabethtown, Ky.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Central-KY-Kid, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

As posted today on www.LCNI.com:

"The News-Enterprise is accepting applications for Sports reporter to cover sports at five high schools in the diverse, nearly 100,000 population county that includes Fort Knox. The News-Enterprise is a growing, aggressive newspaper in Hardin County, KY, with 17,000-plus circulation Monday-Friday and 20,000-plus Sunday. Interested persons contact Chuck Jones, Sports Editor, at cjones@thenewsenterprise.com or Warren Wheat, Editor, at wwheat@thenewsenterprise.com"

pm me for more info

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

This is a great paper for those just out of college or those ready to make the leap to a daily. Chuck's an amiable guy.

3. Lynn_Hoppes

Lynn_Hoppes Member

I was an intern there twice, had wonderful experiences and would recommend it as a starting point for anyone.

Lynn

4. will kirsten dunst be there?

5. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

damnit, you beat me to it.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

If you go there, tell Chuck I loved his cartoons when he worked for Warner Brothers.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Isn't this a dry county?

8. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

and aren't divorced couples still legally brother and sister?

9. Freelance Hack

Not anymore, both E'town and Radcliff went wet a few years back. Coincidentally, both votes happened after I left -- though I covered a couple wet-dry votes in my day.

You're 45 minutes from Louisville. 75 from Lexington. An hour from Mammoth Cave and two hours from Nashville. It's a pretty nice place to live.

10. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

As posted today on www.kypress.com:

Job Title: Sports Reporter
    Company: The News-Enterprise
    Category: Print Journalist
    Contact Person: Chuck Jones; Warren Wheat
    Contacts Title: Sports Editor; Editor
    Email: cjones@thenewsenterprise.com; wwhear@thenewsenterprise.com

Address: 408 W. Dixie Ave.
    City/State/Zip: Elizabethtown, KY 42701
    Phone: 1-270-769-1200, ext. 292 or 430
    Fax: 1-270=769-6965
    Web Page: thenewsenterprise.com
    Description:

OVERVIEW: The News-Enterprise, a growing, aggressive newspaper in Hardin County, Ky., with 17,000-plus circulation Monday-Friday and 20,000-plus Sunday, is accepting applications for a sports reporter to cover sports at five high schools in the diverse, nearly 100,000 population county that includes Fort Knox. The newspaper is published in Elizabethtown, 40 miles south of Louisville. The candidate who lands this exciting newsroom position will be a hard-charger who not only reports and writes effectively on deadline, but also is able to design and paginate pages; who sees story ideas where others don’t and just can’t wait to tell readers about them; who understands community newspapers; and is interested in advancement. The team of three full-time, one part-time sports staff also provide coverage of University of Louisville and University of Kentucky sports. This is a great opportunity for an enterprising journalist who is serious about moving up in the print and online news business. The News-Enterprise is a property of Landmark Community News Inc., which has 50 newspapers across the country including three dailies. LCNI is the community newspaper division of Landmark Communications, Inc. which publishes The Virginia Pilot-Ledger in Norfolk, Va.; News & Record in Greensboro, N.C.; and The Roanoke Times in Roanoke, Va., and smaller papers in Florida, Maryland and other states. Position available Oct. 16.

11. Freelance Hack

If central is who I think they are, then maybe they can answer this better, but this position may include some coverage of Western Kentucky (when applicable). At least that's how it used to be.

And the coverage of the colleges usually meant features, advances, columns and notebooks. No gamers.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Central is a "they?" That limits it to conjoined twins working as reporters in Kentucky.

Not much help there, freelance.

Draft saved Draft deleted