1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports "Reporter" -- The (Lewistown, Penn.) Sentinel,

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dkphxf, Mar 18, 2011.

1. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Stitch didn't provide his PSA in the best of manner, but the salary is more important than how the work there is. Unless you've got a spouse earned some scratch, you ain't staying there long-term for that money.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

For a 13K paper, advertising minimum wage is bush league at best. The paper shouldn't be in business if that's all the owners can pay.

I know newspaper pay isn't great in Pennsylvania compared to other locations, but you can make $25K at similar-sized papers in the state.

3. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I know weekly's that pay a lot more than that.

And the ad says "2 years experience?" This is an entry-level spot, at best. Do they mean two years experience at a college paper? Maybe 2 two years blogging?

4. fishbulb

fishbulb New Member

40 applications?

Let's be honest. If you live in Pennsylvania, apply here and don't hear back - then you should probably start looking for another career.

If this isn't the worst sports journalism job in the state, it's pretty damn close. I know someone who's worked there before ... and I don't think anyone would disagree with me, whether Jeff is a great boss or not.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It's also embarrassing that a 13K daily is actually having their sports reporter work in circulation. What does that mean? That they have a paper route?

I'd expect that from a 600 circulation weekly with 3 employees, not a 13K daily. Show some respect for the people hoping to break into journalism and have them work at it full time, especially if you're paying so low, instead of having them wear a different hat that won't get them anywheres ahead.

6. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

I know people who had to take circulation calls while they were on the job. Just the way the phone system worked.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I've got to think the only way you could pull this off is to live like a college student -- with roommates in a house. The next thought would be for a recent PSU grad to take this, but heading over the mountain daily is a bit too much of a commute, especially in the winter.

I'm sure the people there are nice. But baby, Lewistown is few people's idea of a good time. One of the sleepiest towns I've ever encountered.

This guy, however, does suggest that you can go down to ... Electric Avenue.

[​IMG]

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It's one thing to pick up the phone and help out once in a while. It's another thing to expect them to devote 7 hours a week to the job. 7 hours that they could be spending doing some sort of journalism that might get them ahead.

9. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

I agree with that. In fact, I was doing the math for how many hours would be applied to some of those tasks.

I think in the situation I mentioned, people were taking calls more than once in a while depending on the day of the week, but I'd have to ask them.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Nicely played.

Yes, Lewistown is a hole. I'd say a quarter of the town is boarded up, judging by my most recent drive through there.

You can get places pretty cheap, probably in the $300 range.

I'm guessing the salary is closer to $20K, but it's still pathetic. That's life with Ogden.

Draft saved Draft deleted