1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports "Reporter" -- The (Lewistown, Penn.) Sentinel,

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dkphxf, Mar 18, 2011.

1. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

The Sentinel has an immediate opening for a full-time sports reporter position. The ideal candidate will possess a bachelor's degree in journalism/communications and have at least 2 years experience as a news reporter or sports writer for a college-level newspaper or comparable publication, and should be proficient in the use of a standard digital camera to shoot photos. Candidates who also have proficiency with Quark, In Design or comparable page layout software are preferred.

Prior experience covering local high school sporting events, as well as familiarity with the various facets of collegiate and professional sports are a definite plus. The full-time nature of this position also includes duties as an assistant to The Sentinel's circulation department for roughly 7 hours each week, so customer service experience and the ability to interact professionally with subscribers via telephone are also highly desirable.

Benefits include health insurance, paid vacation and sick days, and a 401k retirement plan option. Submit resumes and letters of interest to: Managing Editor Frank Jost c/o The Sentinel, 352 Sixth St., Lewistown, PA 17044, or via e-mail to fjost@lewistownsentinel.com. If available, include up to 3 samples of your writing and layout skills.

Per: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1241369

In quotes because you'll do photography, layout and work in circulation as part of this job.

2. llcharlie

llcharlie Member

The pay listed was $15,000 to $20,000. That's a record low.

3. doctorx

doctorx Member

And the ideal candidate for that salary will have a college degree.

4. johann

johann Guest

But whatever is left after monthly payments of $400 to feed a $30,000 college loan for that degree is all yours!

5. eclapt44

eclapt44 Member

But you get valuable experience working in the circulation department!!!

6. This is actually a sister paper of ours. Don't know a whole lot about the gig, but I believe Jeff Fishbein runs the sports department, and he's good people.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It doesn't really matter if Jeff is nice. Jeff won't pay your rent or feed you.

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

What, they don't want this person to bend plates or work a station on the inserting machine as part of the "reporter" position? Slackers!!!

9. nmsports

nmsports Member

Of course, $15K goes a long way in Lewistown. Snicker.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

I would have much more respect if they really told you what to do, BEND OVER AND TAKE IT!
    This is just awful and they should be called on it.

11. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

You guys can mock all you want, and rightfully so. But this job still will get 40 applications from dumbass recent college grads who don't value themselves, which is why papers like this can pay what they do.

12. God forbid somebody actually say something nice about the people who are there. Christ, I'm not stupid. I know somebody can't live on that salary. But like secretariat said, somebody is going to apply, and I'm sure anybody who is thinking about applying might want to know if they guy there is a douche or not. Jeff's not. Never worked for him, but have worked with him at various events for 10 years and he's always been a nice guy to shoot the breeze with.

Draft saved Draft deleted