1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, The Express-Times, Easton, Pa.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by wickedwritah, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Anyone know if they cover any Lehigh wrestling or are they too far from that?

2. melock

melock Well-Known Member

I believe they do.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm under the same impression.

4. melock

melock Well-Known Member

It is in Bethlehem, which the Easton paper does cover. It's Allentown schools, Muhlenberg, DeSales, ect., they don't really touch.

5. Sportswriter2327

Sportswriter2327 New Member

Can any locals tell me what the general cost of living in this area is? Highs and lows of living in the Easton area? Online the town looks pretty nice, but I'm sure Gary Indiana could find nice things to put online to promote itself, too. Thanks for whatever information is forth coming.

6. Keystone

Keystone Member

Easton is the No. 3 city in the Lehigh Valley behind Allentown and Bethlehem and has its share of problems many rustbelt cities are having, namely drugs.
    However, I think there are more positives:
    1. It's a college town. Lafayette is on a hill overlooking downtown.
    2. It's in a growing area. The eastern end of the LV is growing with people from NY and NJ migrating westward for cheaper living. Like neighboring Monroe County, Northampton County is becoming a bedroom community for NYC and also has a little spillover from Philly.
    Easton is attached by two bridges to Phillipsburg, N.J., another old industrial town. The football rivalry between Easton and P-burg is one of the most storied in the country. Easton probably blew a couple chances at winning a state title because it didn't want to cancel the Thanksgiving meeting with its biggest rival. The Rovers had to play three games in a week, and IIRC, had one of its juggernauts derailed after being upset by P-burg. Two days later, they got hammered in the state semifinals.
    Easton also has the State Theatre, which draws some national acts and the Delaware Canal tow path if you like hiking.

BTW, probably the most famous wrestler to come out of the E-T's coverage area is pictured in Mystery Meat's avatar.

7. melock

melock Well-Known Member

The cost of living is pretty high. One bedroom would run you anywhere from $550-700 and it gets worse if you trek across the river into Jersey.

8. Sportswriter2327

Sportswriter2327 New Member

Does anybody how many high schools the Express Times covers and what some of their bigger schools are? Especially in the wrestling department? Thanks.

9. $550 for a 1 bedroom apartment is dirt cheap as far as I'm concerned. Even on a salary for that size paper.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm not really familiar with the area, and I guess this is a no-brainer, but they cover Easton -- obviously -- which is a huge wrestling power. Nazareth is AAA, and is very, very solid in wrestling. Northampton is in the same boat, but not as good as Nazareth -- few are. I know they cover Red Land and Dallastown, which are both AAA for wrestling, and are OK; Littlestown in AA. I'm not sure, but they may even cover Philipsburg, N.J., which is a nationally ranked wrestling team. But I'm not sure Easton stretches that far.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the above is accurate.

11. Sorry, Mike, but Red Land, Dallastown and Littlestown are nowhere near Easton.

They are all somewhat close to York, however.

12. Hustle

Hustle Guest

From what I remember: Easton, Northampton and Nazareth are all excellent in wrestling, as others have said. P-burg too. Wilson - and I may be way off on this - is decent for its level as well (maybe I'm thinking of football). N & N may have the best pedigree, but I think Easton is the best right now.

None of the Bethlehem schools (Freedom, Liberty, Becahi) are particularly great in wrestling.

It's been seven years since I've been up there, so take it for what it's worth.

Draft saved Draft deleted