1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

sports reporter, The Evening Sun , Hanover, Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by johann, Jun 13, 2011.

1. johann

johann Guest

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=324662

Company: The Evening Sun
    Position: sports reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: July 18, 2011
    Job ID: 324662

Description:

The Evening Sun in Hanover, Pa., a 20,000-circulation award-winning afternoon newspaper in southcentral Pennsylvania, needs a sports reporter to cover the area high school sports scene, about 10 schools. Also includes two Division III colleges, Division I basketball at Mount St. Mary’s, some Baltimore Orioles and Ravens and Penn State. May develop into assistant sports editor position for right candidate. Primarily evening hours. Send resume, clips to Chuck Curley, sports editor, The Evening Sun, 135 Baltimore St., Hanover, Pa. 17331, or e-mail ccurley@eveningsun.com.

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I've been in the business for seven years and this job has probably been advertised at least a dozen times.

Can't knock it, though ... this is (or was) a pretty good gig.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

This was Jay Sherman's last job in the biz before he got the axe. I interviewed for the job at the same time he was. I guess the ME is letting the SE do the hiring this time around.

Pay is likely around $23K. There are interesting stories about the SE, which aren't good. As you can see by the Journalism Jobs ad, the place doesn't care about its reputation as you can see by the grammar mistakes in the ad.

4. LemMan

LemMan Member

The SE is a good guy. This is a good job for someone just starting out...I worked here from 2000-04. The SE now was a writer then, and was promoted a few months before I left. He has his quirks, but we all do in this business. And he is good guy to work for.

5. btm

btm Member

[​IMG]

6. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Actually sounds like a pretty good job for someone starting out.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It would be a fine place to start out, I would think.

There are three high schools essentially within whistling distance of the city limits: small, in-town Hanover High, sprawling, suburban South Western, and Delone Catholic in neighboring McSherrystown. The coverage area probably stretches out to 10-12 schools in all. Lots of good competition, good sports there.

Mount St. Mary's is probably a 30-minute drive; no football, but solid little mid-major otherwise. Lovely campus straddles U.S. Route 15. Gettysburg is within 15-20 minutes, complete with Gettysburg College, a good Division III school.

And Baltimore really isn't very far off at all, probably less than an hour.

People at the Evening Sun have always been first-rate in my book, too.

8. mrbigles01

mrbigles01 Member

I did a little freelancing for this paper a few years back. SE was friendly, professional and easy to work with. Its a small sample size, but I had a good experience.

9. jmb51879

jmb51879 Member

And all the pretzels you can eat ...

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Oh, yeah. You can't swing a dead raccoon without hitting a pretzel/chip factory store.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

LemMan knows. Chuck is a good guy. He's a straight-shooter. He's not the biggest schmoozer in the world but there's not anything wrong with that. He's been in Hanover forever, and there are far worse people under whom you could work.

The pay isn't great, which dissuaded me from going there a few years ago when I had dueling offers, but you'll do OK living there on that salary.

Last I heard, they were doing the design/desk work in York, which meant some shifts up there, but that may have changed.

12. Another Evening Sun alum here. Agree with most of what's been said. No one will outwork Chuck Curley. That has its plusses and minuses, or at least did when I was there. Know nothing about the remainder of the management structure, as it has changed quite a bit since I was there in the early part of the century.

Draft saved Draft deleted