1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, the Daily Commercial, Leesburg, Fla.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by deskslave, May 15, 2008.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

So many things I could say, but all I'll say is this: PM me for information.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=924302

Company: The Daily Commercial
    Position: Seeking sports reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $20,000 to $25,000
    Ad Expires: June 18, 2008
    Job ID: 924302

Description:
    THE DAILY COMMERCIAL, a 28,000-circulation AM daily in sunny central Florida, is seeking a sports reporter. The Daily Commercial focuses on the prep sports scene and covers numerous public and private high schools in Lake and Sumter counties. We're a short drive from both coasts and numerous recreational opportunities abound. We offer paid vacation, sick leave, full medical and dental benefits and a company-matched 401k plan. Duties include general assignment sports coverage as well as pagination on QuarkXPress, so experience with both is mandatory. Applicants should submit a resume and clips through the contact information below. HarborPoint Media is an equal opportunity employer.

2. ALMSguru

ALMSguru New Member

Stay Away..stay far away from this company. I worked for a sister paper and they are as cheap as they come. They're benefits are some of the worst I've ever seen. I can get cheaper insurance by going directly to Blue Cross Blue Shield website than what they were going to charge me. Leesburg is an OK town...at least its 45 mins from Orlando and rent is pretty reasonable.

PM me if you want to know any info.

3. I, too, wouldn't know where to begin on this.

I've covered things alongside some Leesburg folks, and they're plenty nice, but the job itself and the paper leave much to be desired for anyone.

Besides, you'd obviously have to live in or around Leesburg. Unless your only interest in life is hiking nature trails and swimming with manatees, you're going to be bored out of your mind. Ocala will look like NYC to you after you've spent a few months in a place like that.

Draft saved Draft deleted