1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, The Courier-Journal

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by HokieJournalism, Jul 6, 2012.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

You did! When can... aw, crap, that's always easy.

Not sure if anyone did. I know I put in for it and Creig said that they were looking for someone who had more of a recruiting background. Hey, at least he was up front and got back to me.

2. Jeff Winger

Jeff Winger New Member

I never heard back from Creig. I've heard through another avenue that they're pretty close to filling it. What exactly that means, I'm not sure.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

If you sent yours via traditional mail, maybe that was it. I went the e-mail route...

4. Jeff Winger

Jeff Winger New Member

I emailed mine as well.

5. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

http://johnclay.bloginky.com/2012/08/14/tracking-the-busy-kentucky-sports-media-shuffle/

"- Steve Jones, formerly the recruiting reporter for the Rivals’ University of Kentucky site Cats Illustrated, has replaced Demling at the Courier-Journal. Steve previously worked at the C-J on the copy desk."

6. Jeff Winger

Jeff Winger New Member

Steve announced the hire Monday on Twitter. The C-J is fortunate to have him.

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Apparently previous experience at the C-J is a leg up. :)

As it should be. Congratulations, Steve! The C-J hired someone who knows about the Cats...

8. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Perhaps that's why this was posted Aug. 1: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1393103

9. Jeff Winger

Jeff Winger New Member

Coincidence. Steve left the C-J copy desk in 2010.

10. Creig Ewing

Creig Ewing Member

I did not get back to everyone, and I apologize for that.

We had a lot of really good candidates so the main factor was someone with significant experience covering recruiting. Many sports writers don't like to dirty their hands with it. So we wanted someone who was comfortable in that role.

Steve has been covering recruiting for a couple years and is a good writer. And, yes, it helped that he worked for the C-J previously as an editor.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

Well, at least we know now. When did you make the hire?

12. Creig Ewing

Creig Ewing Member

Steve started Tuesday.

Draft saved Draft deleted