1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, The Courier-Journal

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by HokieJournalism, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Creig Ewing

Creig Ewing Member

Attaching the cover letter isn't a problem. But you want to make a good first impression.

If the first thing I see is an email saying basically that you are interested in the sports position at my publication (without saying what the publication is) and that your resume, cover letter and clips are attached, it makes a bad impression.

This is a writing job. You are judged on your ability to communicate.

If you want to write a couple grafs and attach the cover letter, no problem. But in your email at least take the time to put in the specific job you are applying for and write a few grafs about your qualifications.

If the first thing I see is a generic two sentences, it does not help you stand out.

On the references, you don't have to list them. But if you are fresh out of college, it would help if if someone in the business could vouch for you.

I am not writing this to complain or embarrass anyone. I see a lot of eager people looking for work and I am trying to give an idea of what might help.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

While that part also tripped me up a little, Creig, I get where you're coming from.

Thanks for the list post above. People should feel free to print it out and save it.

3. LitteringAnd

LitteringAnd Member

Reading his post made me frantically scramble to my Sent Items folder and see what I screwed up when applying. Thankfully, nothing (though I probably should have varies my clips a bit more).

Wholly appreciate him coming on here and being so candid, for sure. In these days, I'm happy - OK, not happy, but... - when I get a personal rejection letter, nevermind the editor himself coming right and saying what he's looking for. Incredibly commendable.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It honestly surprises me, in this era of the internet, how many people can't write a decent cover letter. I guess I have a lot of practice, but the general how to doesn't seem that hard.

Paragraph 1: Catchy lead and mention the name of the position you are applying for -- or generic "would be interested in joining your staff" if it's a blind letter.

Paragraph 2: Who you are and your best accomplishments.

Paragraph 3: Your skills, including relevant computer software programs.

Paragraph 4: Something about why you want the job, or what you hope to be able to accomplish.

Paragraph 5: How to reach you. (or if you're going to be in town soon, etc.)

Obviously, it's worth tailoring each letter to whatever specifics of the job you know at the time. But the format can stay fairly well in tact.

One more thing: I never, ever, ever mention compensation. It makes you sound like a money-grubbing whore. There will be time enough to discuss that later. (One employer actually did make me an offer without ever mentioning it and then, and only then, did I have to bring it up.)

5. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

My advice to any money-grubbing whores in this business: you must not be a very good whore.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

My note: God help anyone who writes a five-graf cover letter.

7. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

I think seeing this layout kind of highlights the questions. When applying for a job, you are really in the dark, and feel like maybe just the right sort of cover letter alchemy will do the trick and make you far more desirable. So you obsess about that alchemy and imagine there's some "right" way to do it.

Since rejection is a constant factor in a job hunt, your always left wondering. Chances are you know if you're sending about your best clip, and you probably feel pretty comfortable about your resume (maybe you can punch it up, but experience is what it is). But the cover letter is so variable, so hard to pin down.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Journalist's paragraphs are not very long.

9. JeffRoper

JeffRoper Guest

This is where I pull my hair out. I was hired by a small daily and was brought into a midsize market (from 10,000 daily to 90,000 daily). The small market only let me write occasionally whereas the midsize kept me on the desk for 4 and a half years. The small market had no archive to speak of so the clippings I kept have been long lost and now that I'm laid off, I only have college clips to use.

It's disheartening because I've received so many rejection letters lately I can't help but to feel most of that is due to the lack of a quality portfolio.

10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Creig's entire list is worth committing to memory for ANY job, but I wanted to highlight this.

Worst cover letter I ever proofread for someone started each paragraph with "I.'

To any employer, it's not about you. It's about the job.

Tell them why they need you, not why you want them.

11. RustyHampton

RustyHampton Member

From someone who reads a lot of cover letters and applications, that's some great advice from Creig. Couldn't have said it better.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

There is a fine line between being confident and being cocky. May have a difficult time distinguishing between the two, especially those who are hiring.

Draft saved Draft deleted