1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, The Courier-Journal

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by HokieJournalism, Jul 6, 2012.

1. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

You should have my info Creig. Thanks for such a detailed post.

2. The post from Creig should be replicated somewhere else so everyone can use it as a resource.

That's how it's done.

3. JordanA

JordanA Member

I'm one of those recent grads who applied, and am admittedly guilty of a couple of the smaller offenses that Creig listed. I don't suppose it would be helpful to correct those mistakes and then send an email again. lol.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Attaching a cover letter does not indicate you are taking the easy route. It is professional to attach it as I've seen my cover letter as part of the material an interviewer has in front of them.

What type of applicant wouldn't send a resume or clips in the first email?

5. Yeah, I agree, I thought that was kind of a weird complaint.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

This is great advice in applying for ANY job.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

My track record in getting jobs far outstrips my actual value to newsrooms, and this is the biggest reason why. Having been on the other side a few times, too, I think that 90% of job applicants don't get that.

8. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

I used to attach the cover letter, but recently decided it just felt stupid. Why am I writing the body of an email essentially to do what a cover letter should do?

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I think the best way to handle it is to use the body of the e-mail as a second, shorter, less formal cover letter. It should be more than "here I am, here's my stuff," but it doesn't have to be the whole cover letter either.

10. Slight tangent, but wondering how/why the CJ has had five guys with more than 100 years of service combined (Ray Hall, Bozich, Crawford, Demling and Brett Dawson) either leave or retire in a year. That's 2 of your 3 biggest beats, your takeout guy and both columnists. I'm not saying it's not a good gig, but man doesn't that kind of exodus scare ya just a little?

11. MEL31602

MEL31602 New Member

I too am one of the recent grads who applied and luckily I didn't make any of the mistakes listed, although I didn't include references either.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If someone wants references, include the request in a job listing. Many career help websites and colleges tell job hunters not to include them if it's not requested.

Mistakes in a job ad are also warning signs for applicants. It does not mean an immediate supervisor is careless or sloppy, but it is indicative of the performance of the department responsible for writing the ad.

Draft saved Draft deleted