1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, The Bakersfield Californian

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by HoosierLoser, Jul 1, 2008.

1. HoosierLoser

HoosierLoser Member

Seems like the only time I'm on this site is to post job openings or when positions have been frozen.

I think I have good news. It appears that our previously frozen sports writing position has thawed out in time for high school football season. Position was originally for our college beat but I have strong feeling that it will become a general assignment position for now that could morph into the high school or college beat later down the road.

This isn't official but from what I understand, the position will be a No. 2 high school writer and will help with colleges -- Div. I Cal State Bakersfield and our two JCs Bakersfield College and Taft College.

Once HR clears us to run a job posting on journalismjobs.com, I'll then post the position on here. I'm just giving everyone a heads up. If you previously sent in your resume and portfolio, and are still interested in the job, I'd advise you to update us on your whereabouts.

We'd like to have someone in here by the end of August, and I don't know anything about pay at the moment. It's not officially opened until HR finishes paperwork.

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Does this job replace a certain columnist who left the paper recently? I knew him and hope that he's doing well in his new situation.

3. HoosierLoser

HoosierLoser Member

Yes in body. No in position. We will no longer have a columnist. He sent an e-mail last week, saying he's arrived in Hershey, and getting everything set up.

4. HoosierLoser

HoosierLoser Member

The Bakersfield Californian, an award-winning, innovative, family-owned paper, is seeking an energetic general assignment sports reporter.

The winning candidate for this position will have solid writing skills and be workhorse with a knack for enterprise reporting and willingness to help on specific beats when necessary.

We are intensely reader-focused and want people who aren't afraid to look at news in new ways. Our web presence is extremely important we're seeking a proactive reporter who embraces web-based elements such as videos, blogs and podcasts.

At least three years experience on a daily preferred.

Send resumes, clips and references to Tony Lacava, sports editor, The Bakersfield Californian, PO Bin 440, Bakersfield CA 93302 or e-mail tlacava@bakersfield.com. If you are sending your resume and portfolio via e-mail, please add rpriest@bakersfield.com to your address list.

5. Editude

Editude Active Member

Quite a transition Andy Kehe is making, from writing about roller derby in Bakersfield to helping disadvantaged kids in Hershey. Good luck with what sounds like a noble life choice.

6. bp6316

bp6316 Member

Andy and his family were always first class when it came to things like that. I believe they had foster kids more than once. I really do wish him the best in Hershey.

7. Glen Rosales

Glen Rosales Member

Off the topic, but I lived in Hershey during high school so I thought I'd throw in a response. Nice place, especially to raise a family and quite especially if you like chocolate. Yes, the odor is pervasive. Reese's factory is in town, as well, so you get the roasted peanut smell on that side of town. Not the place to go if you're looking to lose weight.

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

And a hell of a writer as well. I was fortunate enough to cover a few things with Andy.

Good writer. Good person, pure and simple.

9. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

ladies and gentlemen, the Andy Kehe memorial thread!

10. HoosierLoser

HoosierLoser Member

Just a little Bakersfield bump.

11. WSKY

WSKY Member

I love this paper ...

12. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

blue font or no? care to share why?

Draft saved Draft deleted