1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, The Associated Press, Detroit

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MileHigh, Jun 17, 2010.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Trister's departure from Little Rock has created an opening in Arkansas but it won't be based in Little Rock, as it has for the last five decades and probably beyond.
    Instead the writer will be based in Fayetteville and will almost entirely cover University of Arkansas sports.
    AP has talked for years about having a person who did sports and also some business coverage, mostly Wal-Mart, but I don't know if that will be the case for this job.

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Yes, he applied and was one of something like a dozen interviewed.

Nothing against Trister, whom AP's had cover the Olympics, but this gig should have been Hogg's hands down. I feel terrible for him, although I've heard his AP workload won't go down too much.

3. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

The move makes perfect business sense for AP. Trister was on AP's travel team for both Beijing and Vancouver, and this moves him into a bigger market, plus it probably makes the move to Fayetteville easier.

Hogg's been covering hundreds of events a year since Harry Atkins first hired him as a stringer 100 years ago, and this leaves him in that position.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Just like plenty of newspapers that pass on the old reliable stringer for full-time openings because a good stringer can take years to find.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The job posting does say the position will be based in Fayeteville.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Business sense doesn't always make things right. And sadly, Stitch is correct.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

My understanding is that while the job will technically be Detroit, Trister will be based around Ann Arbor and will focus on Michigan and Michigan State

8. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

The job will almost certainly include MSU football and UM basketball, but also splitting Tigers and Lions with Lage and being #1 on the Pistons, so there's no reason to have him based in Ann Arbor. Lage already lives there.

9. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

Quite true. I'm not saying I agree with the decision, just that it is easy to see their thinking.

Draft saved Draft deleted