1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, The Associated Press, Detroit

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MileHigh, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I wonder if the plan is to hire Hogg, but the AP is forced to advertise the position.

How old is Hogg? Could he be reducing his workload?

2. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

Early 40s.

3. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Is the Harry Atkins formerly of Detroit the same one who now gets the occasional byline in SE Georgia? He's covered some events in Savannah and at Georgia Southern. I guess that would explain the "For the Associated Press" tag.

4. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Yes.

5. No, not in the least. How old are you, again?

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Let me see if I'm understanding this right. There are only two people covering all those sports for the AP, correct?

Just two people to cover all the pro teams plus the universities and anything else that comes along?

As someone said on another jobs thread, sounds like a heart attack waiting to happen.

7. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

There has been one AP sportswriter in DET forever. This will be a second; in that you are correct.

Larry works his ass off but also has an amazing group of stringers (led by Hogg), who do a great percentage of the work.

I forget the official rules, but certain things must have bylines, and Larry's obligated to staff that. He has to do the boatloads of paperwork, too. Other staff writers in buros -- for example, Tim Martin in Lansing (if he's still there) -- are also available to staff the things that need bylines.

Many times if a byline is needed for a big game, stringers will also staff to run quotes and stuff like that.

Larry has a host of crack writers, some of which specialize in one sport (like hockey) and some jump in at certain times of the year to do one or two particular things, like high school swimming.

Small school non-byline stuff is mostly being cut out, but the likes of small college football and all college hockey used to be done in the office off scoresheets.

I always assumed all AP buros were similar, but I also had heard the reason DET was slow to add a second sportswriter was because of the amazing stringer staff.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

So there is more than one person working in Detroit. That's good.

I was thinking there was just one guy who never could take a day off because he had four major sports to cover.

9. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

After a long, long search, AP just moved Noah Trister from Little Rock for this gig.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No. Fucking. Way.
    Hogg got screwed.

11. sayyestomi

sayyestomi New Member

Slappy: Agreed. This is completely unfair to Hogg. He deserved it, hands down -- and we all (or, most of us) know it.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Does anyone know he wanted the job?

Draft saved Draft deleted