1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, Syracuse University Football

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dtoolbox, Oct 29, 2012.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I don't mean to be insensitive, sportsnut, but people get too bent out of shape about not getting a personal reply.

From my experience, this position got 100-200 inquiries. No, they aren't going to send a "sorry" out to the 99-199 who didn't get the job.

2. JordanA

JordanA Member

I think it just depends on the person. I sent in my resume to the News and Observer in Raleigh, NC, when they were looking for a Duke basketball beat reporter. Never got an interview, but did get a nice, quaint email from the N&O's sports editor thanking me for my interest but informing me that they had hired someone else for the job, which was nice.

On the flip side, I was one of three finalists for another job—at a paper that I won't mention—and drove two hours for an interview only to never hear a single word and find out they had hired someone by seeing an update on Linkedin. So it really just depends on the class level of the people you're dealing with. It does suck to have that hope and then just be left hanging. I agree with the people that said you can't expect a personal reply from jobs that get 100+ applicants, but it is nice when you do hear something.

3. Dawgpound17

Dawgpound17 Member

I believe it depends on the newspaper, the SE and the amount of applicants. One that had a HS opening recently I got an email back saying I didn't make the interview stage but that they'd keep my application on file, which was nice. A past Alabama opening had the same and the Sun-Sentinel had a simply thanks for applying but we went another direction. Some, however, just hire and move on. So it all depends.

Draft saved Draft deleted