1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, Sun Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tim Stephens, May 13, 2012.

1. Izzy Gould

Izzy Gould Member

Michael brings a unique eye to beat coverage. I've often told him he should work for the New York Post, and that his style will one day make him a great columnist.

And you would be hard pressed to find a nicer guy.

Michael earned this job because of his dedication to his blog where he created a loyal audience. He turned it into a revenue stream for his news organization, and a must read for Alabama fans.

I'm glad to be working alongside of him instead of against him.

2. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Seems like the Sun Sentinel is making some good moves in hiring some aggressive beat reporters. Given the state of today's journalism world, that is especially impressive. Still have a lot of doubts about their management structure, though. No sports editor on site in a market as big as South Florida? Bad idea.

3. Tim Stephens

Tim Stephens Member

Ahem, there is a sports editor on site.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I can vouch for that. I was in Fort Lauderdale last week and had a meal with said sports editor.

5. Fran Curci

He might do a fine job but can't be in two places at once. There is some major paper in Orlando or Fort Lauderdale without its own full-time sports editor.

6. sportsgal78

sportsgal78 New Member

What happened to the Sun Sentinel's former UM writer?

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Moved to another beat, I'll leave the specifics to Tim if he wants to comment (because I'm not sure of all the switches that were made). He's still there. Papers will shake up their beats now and then for a variety of reasons.

8. Tim Stephens

Tim Stephens Member

Michael Casagrande will cover Miami Hurricanes. Dieter Kurtenbach will cover FAU/recruiting/local sports. Steve Gorten will cover local sports. With this hire we have filled our opening in Sports (we do have several news openings -- copy editors, designers, Palm Beach Bureau Chief, biz editor, biz reporter, investigative reporter).

9. HarryNutsack

HarryNutsack New Member

Does this mean Gorten is back to covering high schools? Yes, the paper has several news openings because everything there is a clusterfuck and most of the good people have left, most recently Chris Font, who is excellent and I'm sure will do fine at the Washington Post. The Sentinel is a shadow of its former self, especially its day-to-day high school coverage and space devoted to it. Hopefully that changes when the new school year begins in a couple of months. The high school baseball coverage, for example, is abysmal in an area where some of the best ball in the country is played (three first-round draft pics with Broward ties this year). There's more to life than football and basketball. The Palm Beach Post is the best of the bunch now in preps. Why a local paper decides high school coverage is less important I'll never understand. The Sun-Sentinel (yes, I like to still hyphenate it) is not a national paper.

10. sportsgal78

sportsgal78 New Member

What was the reason they demoted Gorten to high schools??? I thought he did a good job covering the Canes.

11. Mephistopheles

Mephistopheles New Member

Both Orlando and South Florida typically prefer to have younger writers on the college beats. Gorten isn't old, by any stretch, but a lot of people think the paper's top college beat should go to a young guy. That's definitely how they've done it in Orlando in the past.

12. Fran Curci

I might rather have the best writer (rather than the youngest) on the best college beat.

Draft saved Draft deleted