1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, Sun-Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tim Stephens, May 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Sports editor at Antelope Valley Press?

2. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

He would have given notice in Buffalo. Left Fayetteville a while ago.

3. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Thanks. Sorry to get timeline wrong. Funny that "a while ago" = November.

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Or maybe he should NEVER ask a favor of those guys and avoid them if he sees them in the street. Because I don't see how he could make eye contact with them again.

5. Your mom.

I've heard a lot of good things about Tyler. This appears to be a misstep, but I know he's got a lot of talent.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

As long as he's professional about it, I don't have a problem with it.

If he did this in an unprofessional way, he just burned a whole chain. I'm just curious what job he's on the verge of getting.

If the moves are all clear steps up it shouldn't be a huge red flag. If you start at the bottom and you show talent, you can move up and around very quickly. I don't know anything about this kid. If he got the S-S job, I'm guessing he's got some talent.

I know of very prominent writers who have accepted jobs and then just not shown up who have wound up doing OK for themselves.

7. thalwig

thalwig New Member

Ditto Mzzougrad,
    Shame on J.T. Allouttes negative posts of a young journalist who decided on a another opportunity. J.T. posts are either very self serving or has a frat boy intimidation mentality.Unless (JT) has a vested interest,he must understand that hard work,quality work,& good people with goals = advancement in a prosperous America.Only in a good ole boy environment, does a young journalist get slammed for changing his mind to better himself from a frustrated idiot, sounding like a Poo Bah that knows all.
    Let it go J.T. and live life , decisions always heal with time and total understanding. Its a business that is based on Performance not post slams.
    Tyler is a great person and a great writer with immense talent.
    Good luck Tyler!!

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There was a guy several years back who turned down a plum gig at The Sentinel and believes he has been blackballed as a result. I don't remember the guy's name. This was probably 7-8 years ago.

9. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Pray tell, what is frat boy intimidation mentality, and how is it applied in this situation?

10. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

FWIW, he is going for a pretty good job. It's one that scream's first-guy-laid-off, but it's a good job.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And if he doesn't get it, then what?

12. Needles

Needles Member

I heard he texted Tim Stephens to let him know he was backing out of the job. Person who told me probably knows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.