1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, Sun-Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tim Stephens, May 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd M. Adams

Todd M. Adams Member

Just to clarify here -- yes, less than a week after accepting this job Tyler backed out. Apparently he's in the running for another job and he decided to pursue it. The other job is a good one and we wish him the best of luck. We will be looking at other options.

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

So, is there still an opening? And if you already applied, would you need to do so again?

3. Oh come on. Rule 1 of the job hunt, even more important in an bad economy: Look out for yourself, and no one else.

I have no idea who Tyler is or what his circumstances are, but as long as he's doing that, he has nothing to apologize for.

4. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

If that's Rule No. 1, then Rule No. 2 should be "If you get to work with a good newspaper with excellent opportunity to cover pro teams and have a job guaranteed there, take it." I'd love to have landed this gig.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Pretty big leap, to take, then reject, a gig like this to "pursue" another opportunity. On the surface, that's a big-time jump, but obviously I don't know all the details.

6. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

I think having an absurdly good resume and what I can only assume is a boatload of talent can overwhelm any sort of rules. The guy held his first job for five months and won two top-2 APSE stories. Talent trumps all.

And John T. - I only count leaving three jobs. Fayetteville, Buffalo and this.

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Apparently, he's not making any mistakes, if he's getting not one job, but three, like the ones he's gotten/left. All are positions many on here would kill for, and he's gotten three in the span of a year? And now, it appears, he has a better-than-good shot at something even bigger and better? Wow...

Either the job market really has changed, or this guy is so other-worldly good that anything and everything is OK by everybody else. It really is kind of hard to imagine so much moving around, and so much continued success, all happening so quickly and so early...

8. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

I can promise you, I've never met the guy. Just don't know him. To prove that, I had no idea he got any interest from the Syracuse newspaper. I knew he went to Syracuse, but nothing about the P-S.

I've only seen his resume. And it's probably my own youthful foolishness to believe that resume will draw more interest than derision. I tend to believe editors will give someone with that experience more chances/interviews/positions. Clearly this very shop saw nothing wrong with two stints under eight months. Maybe his luck turns here, maybe he comes up with a good explanation for the state of his resume. I have no idea.

Honestly, I'd selfishly prefer to live in a world where loyalty and connections count more than excellent resumes... becuase my resume is nowhere near that all-star level. But the pessimist in me doesn't fully believe that. Hopefully I'm wrong.

9. mikeywoj

mikeywoj New Member

Sorry to repeat what somebody said above, but so is there an opening again? And is there going to be an opportunity for new applicants to apply as well??

10. Tim Stephens

Tim Stephens Member

This position is indeed open again. I will pick up where I left off among candidates. There were many good ones. However, I will be preoccupied with the NBA Finals for the next two weeks, so if your stuff lands in my inbox quickly and catches my eye, you might have a chance to get into the game. If you previously applied, no need to resend as I still have all materials on file. Thanks to all. And good luck to Mr. Dunne, a fine young journalist.

11. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I'm not going to count it as a job if he never wrote a story for the paper. It's like if a trade doesn't go through because you fail the physical: you weren't on that team. But this job-counting business isn't a good thing in the first place.

12. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

But if he gave his notice in Fayetteville (presumably) and told Orlando he isn't coming, exactly what opening right now is good enough you leave a sure job for the mere possibility of it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.