1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, Sun-Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tim Stephens, May 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeffgreer

jeffgreer New Member

Florida has been an awesome place to start my sports reporting career. The papers have obviously shrunk and become more local, but this is a fantastic state for news. We still have a solid core of print readers (read: elderly people and baby boomers) and the online stuff is very popular with the kids we cover.

In our coverage area alone, we had 24 BCS signees this season -- the entire state of Colorado had seven. We had one of our high school football teams (Dwyer) involved in an officiating fiasco on ESPN that included Jack Nicklaus's grandson flipping off the crowd. One of our basketball teams (also Dwyer) played twice on national TV. We had an author in town all season writing a book about Glades Central football. And 2010-11 was supposedly a slow year for preps news around here.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Pennsylvania rocks, youse guys! Where else is the ex-governor the ranking expert on Philadelphia Eagles football?

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

[​IMG]

I have no idea...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Padre

Padre Member

Given my pick of young gunners, I'll take Matt Stephens ... kid can dish it out and take it

5. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Purple passion, Purple pride!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. jr/shotglass

If I ever lived in Minnesota, somebody would try to make me sample lutefisk. So no, that wouldn't work.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yes. I can see where scrapple is much better.

8. jr/shotglass

Check back in when scrapple is prepared with lye. :)

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Lived in Minnesota for two years and was never offered lutefisk. Live in Pennsylvania now and hopefully won't encounter scrapple.

10. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Haha thanks. The way I've always seen it, if you can't take people giving crap, then you better not give people crap. I would hope Stitch agrees.

11. jr/shotglass

Yeah ... but would you eat lutefisk or scrapple?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.