1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, Sun Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tim Stephens, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Simon

Simon Active Member

Obviously you do since you went on a witch hunt.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

A position being "filled" is a matter of semantics.

There's a writing opening at the Bugle. Job is advertised. Stays open for many weeks/months.

Eventually, desker at the Bugle moves into writing position at the Bugle.

Desker's position is never filled.

And it can be argued that Bugle was told from high up that "you cannot hire anyone" but can only move your existing resources around.

Thus, anyone applying from the outside for the job never had a chance because there was not going to be a "new" hire (as in, a new name on the payroll sheet). That obviously wasn't the intention when the job was first posted, but that's apparently how it turned out.

3. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Or I was trying to figure out who he was to get a nice job like this. I saw that he had written just one column and a few blog posts, so I was figuring what his background was to get the position. Perhaps if I had a similar background, the logic goes, perhaps I can get a similar position.

4. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

That's what I figured had happened. Matt still is listed as a "production assistant editor" or whatever.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't think he's going after the guy at all. It's a very surprising hire based on his experience. The fact of the matter is The Sentinel was not going to pay Adelson's replacement anything close to what it was paying Adelson, therefore they're not going to get someone with that level of experience.

Murschel may be great. There are a lot of incredible writers who for whatever reason have been working the desk for years.

6. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I'll believe it when his three current openings are filled without internal promotions that result in other jobs getting dissolved.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Very good point. The multimedia job, the national college job and the columnist job were all filled internally. Maybe those positions have all been filled, but I doubt it.

8. BigEast24

BigEast24 New Member

I wonder how often this happens. Why do they even bother posting "vacancies"? Do they have to for some reason? An ego stroke to see how many people will get on their knees and beg for work?

9. Tim Stephens

Tim Stephens Member

Jeff Shain, Barry Forbis, Rachel George, Todd Adams and Zach McCann all external hires in past year and a half (although McCann had worked at Sentinel previously part time).

Already have received some packets. Thanks. Much appreciated. Keep them coming.

Carry on ...

10. joe king

joe king Active Member

Often it's company policy to post jobs.

11. Philkaplan

Philkaplan Member

Not sure why Tim has to defend himself for a posting an opening on this message board.

12. LemMan

LemMan Member

Tim -

would you prefer snail mail or emai?

Draft saved Draft deleted