1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, Sun Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tim Stephens, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Tim Stephens

Tim Stephens Member

Sports reporter, Sun Sentinel

Overview:
    The Sun Sentinel, a South Florida-based news organization, is looking to fill a position for sports reporter. This region is competitive and fast-paced with an active news climate and teams in every professional sport. The ideal candidate will be skillful in the use of multi-media tools, will have a strong understanding of public records and a track record of producing ambitious, engaging, informative and enterprising content in print and online.

The Sun Sentinel covers the Miami Dolphins, Miami Heat, Florida Marlins, Florida Panthers, Miami Hurricanes and more.

Responsibilities:
    To take a lead role on sports enterprise and breaking news reporting for the Sun Sentinel and the Orlando Sentinel, with an emphasis on investigative reporting and the business of sports. Our new reporter based in Fort Lauderdale also will assist at times in coverage of all of South Florida’s pro and college sports teams.

Qualifications:
    We’re looking for a versatile, talented reporter who knows how to juggle multiple assignments and can conceive and execute good ideas on deadline. We’re looking for a reporter comfortable and capable of writing for page A1, executing a major investigative project, breaking down the finances of a pro sports league and pitching in to cover a playoff game – maybe even in the same week.

Strong digital skills are expected. The ability to work closely with multiple editors is a must.

To apply, please submit a resume, letter of interest, five clips and examples of your online experience and aptitude to Tim Stephens, Florida Sports Topics Manager, at sunsentinelsportseditor@gmail.com or mail to:

Tim Stephens
    Florida Sports Topics Manager
    South Florida Sun Sentinel
    200 E. Las Olas Blvd.
    Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301

No phone calls, please.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Four words beyond the usual Moddy Seal: Get on, both feet.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Just a thought but I'm sure Tim had some good applicants from the last hiring vacancy he filled a few weeks ago.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

With the Tribune Co. you always have to wonder if they're actually going to fill these openings they're posting.

That national college job never did get filled.

5. Tim Stephens

Tim Stephens Member

I have filled every recent advertised reporter opening at Sentinel and Sun Sentinel, including national college writer. Matt Murschel, previously a desk editor, moved to reporter and has taken on that role. Send your stuff if you're interested. Thanks to all who apply.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Nuff said.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

OK, I was mistaken... I apologize...

8. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Please forgive me for any sort of misunderstanding here, but I'm confused about the hiring of Matt Murschel. I thought a "national college columnist" would be a big-time position with a big newspaper. As best I can tell, he hasn't had any (much?) writing experience.

Matt worked as a designer with the South Bend (Ind.) Tribune before moving to work on the desk at the Sentinel. It appears he's written one column for the Sentinel (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/columnists/orl-murschel,0,6798824.columnist) and blogs with the help of several others (http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college/).

Why not hire someone with a little more experience writing or someone who'd have to do more than linking to other peoples' stories and posting the blog links to his Twitter account? Where are the college basketball columns or even something from the national championship game or UF/Miami/FSU bowl games? (To be fair, I may be missing a series of articles he's written for the Sentinel or a great writing experience. If so, I'll admit that I'm wrong.)

Now, I'm not saying Matt can't do this job. Maybe he can be very good at it. There are certainly examples of people who needed one opportunity before becoming good at what they do. I'm just confused about the hire.

9. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

The job wasn't for "national college columnist" ... it was for a national college writer.

10. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Well, even considering the decline from being a columnist to a reporter, it still seems like this is a plum gig, especially with some of the names that were thrown around in the thread about this position (http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/79049/). Furthermore, Andrea Adelson, I believe, left this position. Those are pretty big shoes to fill.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

WTF? Tim felt he had the best guy for the gig. What's there to be confused about?
    That's one thing I hate about this site. Instead of congratulating someone, there's always some guy knocking the guy who was picked because (select one) he beat a friend of mine for the job or he didn't call me back or he was a desk guy.

12. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

So the best guy gets hired for every position in every situation?

I would like to congratulate Matt for getting this job. It certainly looks like a very nice one, judging from the job description posted by Tim in August. And you're working in a wonderful place at a big newspaper. I have no spite toward him.

Draft saved Draft deleted