1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, Strasburg, Va.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Chuck McGill, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Michael_Petre

Michael_Petre Member

This is a job for a young go-getter who's willing to work. There are plenty of stories out there and plenty of opportunities to tell them.

The sports editor is one of the hardest workers you'll ever meet, and he'll expect a lot from you. The pay is good for a paper its circulation, and there are a lot of talented people there.

In the past five years, NVD sports staffers have moved onto much larger papers all along the East Coast. If you want a paper to learn the trade and improve as a journalist, it doesn't get much better than this.

2. You've got good high school teams to cover and a good location. It's a good job for whoever gets it.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Agreed about the teams. And the coaches in the area -- at least as recently as two years ago -- are pretty easy to work with.

Two words....Pepper. Martin.

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

There's a sweet nuts little Irish pub in Midletown, right on Route 11 between Strasburg and Winchester called The Irish Isle (www.theirishisle.com). Only went there the one time, but I liked it.

Also on that road, about a half-hour south in Mount Jackson, is the Route 11 potato chip factory. When I was there, it was in Middletown too, but they apparently retreated south (not the first time THAT'S happened in the area). Get the sweet potato and the Old Bay chips.

5. JackReacher

My sources say that around 200 resumes were received for this one. Interviews are currently underway. If you ain't in at this point, overnight that bad boy or miss out.

6. spud

spud Member

For a six-day 15,000+ circ. I know its a good job but, Sweet. God.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. JackReacher

apparently, the SE received damn near 100 in the first four or five hours. Awesome and sad all at once.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted