1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, Strasburg, Va.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Chuck McGill, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Chuck McGill

Chuck McGill New Member

The Northern Virginia Daily, the best small daily newspaper in Virginia, seeks a talented, high-energy sports reporter.

Our four-person sports staff places a heavy emphasis on local high schools in a section that averages four pages daily. The ideal candidate will have strong writing and reporting skills and an eye for the human interest stories that take the reader beyond the final score. Daily sports desk and page design experience is a plus, but we will train the right candidate.

The six-day-a-week, independently owned newspaper covers the beautiful Northern Shenandoah Valley.

A resume, cover letter and at least five work samples should be mailed to Sports Editor Chuck McGill, Northern Virginia Daily, 152 N. Holliday St., Strasburg, Va. 22657, or e-mailed to cmcgill@nvdaily.com. Minority applicants encouraged.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hit me up with questions. With the football season looming, we'd like to move quick.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

This one obviously gets the Sonner Seal of Approval, if there ever was such a dumb thing.

Can't say enough good things about the sports guys there.

And I love this thread just because it gives me another stupid reason to plug the Blue Ridge Salad (with steak, chicken or shimp..don't matter) at the Hotel Strasburg. Or the Bacon Cheeseburger...well done with American cheese, please.

3. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

if it's got the sonner seal of approval, where do i sign up?

4. JackReacher

They couldn't afford you. Plus, no chance they'd cater to your superstar needs like limo rides to and from work. :)

5. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

Is Strasburg a decent place to live?

6. JackReacher

If you like small-town, two-stoplight living, yes.

7. Chuck McGill

Chuck McGill New Member

Strasburg is small, yes, but few of us actually live there. Our coverage is sprawling (10 schools across four counties), and we have three bureaus (Winchester, Front Royal and Woodstock). A couple of the sports guys, myself included, live in Winchester. That's where past sports writers have lived as well.

But yea, Strasburg itself is small. Great places to eat, but not much to do. Only one of our high schools are there. Winchester, about 15 minutes north, is nice. The proximity to D.C., Charlottesville, etc., is a plus if you are looking at other things to do.

8. JackReacher

Chuck's right. A good thing about living in Strasburg. Or Winchester. Or Front Royal...is that you're within five hours of several major cities. Philly, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Charlotte, NYC to name a few.

I lived in Strasburg for, oh, about 20 years. Wasn't bad. Wouldn't live there again if you paid me, but it wasn't bad. :)

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Quick hits about this one. I thought it was opened earlier in the year then like many other positions, closed out. Will the person who lands this job find themselves unemployed in January?

10. Chuck McGill

Chuck McGill New Member

We filled one of our positions in December, then had another opening in March when we were under a hiring freeze. I was told in March that if I could survive the summer (see: no preps), I could fill the position on Aug. 1 before football started. They kept their word.

We are stable financially (independently owned) and I don't foresee any cuts.

11. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

I thought that sonner guy, while working in Strasburg, lived in a big white house in D.C.
    was I wrong?

12. JackReacher

Yes, you were wrong. That's where he lives now. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted