1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, Strasburg, Va.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Michael_Petre, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Michael_Petre

Michael_Petre Member

The Northern Virginia Daily, the best small daily newspaper in Virginia, seeks a talented, high-energy sports reporter.

Our four-person sports staff places a heavy emphasis on local high schools in a section that averages five pages daily. The ideal candidate will have strong writing and reporting skills and an eye for the human interest stories that take the reader beyond the final score. Daily sports desk and page design experience is a plus, but we will train the right candidate.

The 6-day-a-week, independently owned newspaper covers the beautiful Northern Shenandoah Valley.

A resume, cover letter and at least five work samples should be mailed to sports editor Michael Petre, Northern Virginia Daily, 152 N. Holliday St., Strasburg, Va. 22657, or e- mailed to mpetre@nvdaily.com. Minority applicants encouraged.

This position was created when a current staffer was elevated to the aforementioned James Madison beat. The new hire will replace him — at least in title. Replacing one of our stars, as we found out with one Ryan Sonner, is nearly impossible.

I hope to fill this position ASAP, so hustle those clips to me. And feel free to e-mail or PM any questions.

2. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

I heard the guys at sonner's new paper were ready to trade him back to strasburg for a case of bubble gum and a six-pack of Corona. They say all he talks about is JMU and Va. Tech football.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Does he play cards? ? ?

4. Michael_Petre

Michael_Petre Member

I think Sonner has cashed in all of his chips up here.

But the fine folks at the Hotel Strasburg would certainly welcome his return. Profits have tumbled since his departure, and the locals say it just doesn't feel the same there anymore.

But we have to learn to move on. It's hard, but we'll get there.

5. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

all indications are that he plays better than julio but not better than that chris moneymaker dude from the WSOP.

6. syrachino

syrachino New Member

I had applied for this job when it first opened up, and when Michael said he was looking to fill the position ASAP, he meant it. Got an e-mail back saying the job had been filled on Tuesday...in case anyone was curious. And I have no knowledge pertaining to the poker-playing abilities of the new hire

7. Michael_Petre

Michael_Petre Member

Mr. syrachino beat me to the punch.

Yes, the job has been filled. Thank you to everyone that showed interest. It's encouraging that a paper our size can have such a strong candidate pool for an entry-level beat.

As for his poker skills, well, we'll find out soon enough.

8. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

Halle-freaking-lujah!!!!!!!!

I hear Strasburg's competition also has an opening. Good luck with that one boys.

9. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Who is that? Winchester?

10. Michael_Petre

Michael_Petre Member

Sure is.

With them and sister paper Harrisonburg hiring, there are jobs aplenty in the Northern Shenandoah Valley.

11. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

The Hotel Strasburg is a nice place. Friendly folks at the bar. That's all I have to contribute here.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Did Potts retire? I remember "Pott's Picks" from college, it was always a big controversy one week of the year because I had good friends who went to Handley and James Woods.

Draft saved Draft deleted