1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, Starkville, Miss.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Methodtomymadness, Dec 1, 2009.

1. I know, I know. We've seen this before, and you better love more cowbell:

Company: Starkville Daily News
    Position: Sports Reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $20,000 to $25,000
    Ad Expires: January 5, 2010
    Job ID: 647418

Description:
    The Starkville Daily News a seven-day morning newspaper located in East Central Mississippi, home to Mississippi State University has an opening for a sports reporter. Our community’s sports reporter will focus heavily on our coverage of the area high schools and our youth sports activities. Duties include game coverage, feature and enterprise writing, column writing, and photography. A thorough knowledge of InDesign is preferred. Applicants must have a good driving record, dependable transportation. Pre-employment drug screen is required. The Starkville Daily offers competitive pay and benefits, a friendly work environment, and advancement opportunities with our parent company, Horizon Publications. The Starkville Daily is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Send a cover letter with wage requirement and history, resume, writing samples to Don Norman, Publisher, The Starkville Daily News, P.O. Box 1068, Starkville, Ms. 39760. Or, e-mail: sdnpub@bellsouth.net

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Food stamp and Section 8 applications available in HR.

Why does the publisher need a wage history? It's none of his damn business.

3. Thank you, Stitch. That was a needed laugh.

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

It doesn't pay much, but at least there's nothing to do there </crossthread>

5. Public School

Public School New Member

The "Bulldog Beat" on their site seems kind of....blank.

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

This publisher is a penny-pincher of herculean proportions.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

This job opened up after someone down there decided to throw away a ton of money go to grad school.

8. People read Tupelo and Jackson before they would Starkville for Mississippi State news.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

A place to start. Do a good job for one orbit around the sun, then get out.

If you do a good job, it'll be noticed.

10. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Yes...don't you love the demand for wage history...especially when the job is offering peanuts. Give me a break.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

It's a starting point for many. That's why the pay is so low. There are a lot worse places to get your career off.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I know people who have worked there. No, it doesn't pay anything.

But as others have said, an entry-level job in an SEC town isn't a bad place to start if you're a single young guy. Is it Athens or Tuscaloosa? No, but believe me, you'll find plenty of ready, willing and able young women in Starkville, if you're into that sort of thing.

And as my buddy Blitz likes to point out, there are at least 10 bars there. So, covering sports, getting drunk and chasing women, is there anything better to do in your early 20s?

Draft saved Draft deleted