1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter - Southgate, Michigan

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by mustangj17, Nov 28, 2010.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Heritage Newspapers, I believe a JRC company looking for a sports reporter in Southgate, Michigan. Southgate is a suburb of Detroit.

I think this is a twice weekly paper that would involve mostly high school sports.

http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/job-JRE8L5MPEW1;_ylc=X3oDMTEwN2wxcmo0BF9TAzM5NjUxMDMzNQRjYXQDQURWBHBjb2RlAzUwNTg0?source=partner&scode=50584

2. Blake1288

Blake1288 New Member

Not too far from my location.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Sundays and Wednesdays.

Pretty much all high school. About 30 communities. They do a lot of zoning.

Also have a chain of weeklies in the Ann Arbor area and a couple in Dearborn area.

Sports editor has been there for ages, starting out as a reporter. The SE before that has been the managing editor for years.

I believe it's a four-man staff.

4. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Hank - The opening isn't for The News-Herald, which is my shop. It's for the western region, which mainly is Washtenaw County - in and around Ann Arbor (with one Wayne County town thrown in). The office is in Saline, which is the first town south of Ann Arbor. Terry Jacoby, the SE, is a great guy. We worked side by side for years. He demands excellence - nothing he hasn't delivered himself.

The western editions are once a week. Because of that, there's been an emphasis on blogging, Flips, etc. You will learn a lot about that stuff in a hurry, and they do a very good job of it.

I covered prep sports part-time at The Ann Arbor News for nearly two decades before it closed and let me tell you - you will cover state championship athletes and teams, depending on the community. There are a lot of really cool coaches out there, too (and a few eccentric ones at Ann Arbor Pioneer).

It's definitely worth a look, but be forewarned that the cost of living is higher in Washtenaw County than surrounding counties - probably the Ann Arbor snob factor.

Yes, it is a JRC paper, but they've treated us well under the John Paton regime. Good things are happening.

5. Blake1288

Blake1288 New Member

Oh so true, I sent him an email, hopefully I'll be hearing from him soon.

6. Hank_Scorpio

That makes more sense, Wolv. I don't think there has been an opening in Southgate for sports in ages.

You're also right about the cost of living in Ann Arbor, but you can live in Ypsilanti or even Chelsea/Dexter/Clinton/Manchester.

Aren't all the Michigan JRC papers almost a separate entity, and run almost self sufficiently with little interference from the main corporate office?

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I was trying to think of who would have left for there to be an opening in Southgate, but that's what the post said. I figured you guys would have cleaned it up. Also: there is a relatively new Sonic in Southgate. Won't do you much if you live in Saline, but still. It's delicious.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Sonic is expanding pretty quickly in Michigan, so there might be one around Ann Arbor by now.

If not, Ann Arbor is getting a Five Guys very soon, which I think is even better than Sonic.

9. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Yes - we do get feedback from corporate, but there isn't much interference.

Draft saved Draft deleted